• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Marsh or Willow Tit - North Devon, UK yesterday (1 Viewer)

allmeownstuntz

I'm guessing this is a juv but not sure if its Marsh or Willow. Fairly confiding but always mobile!

Attachments

• DSCN1941.JPG
    DSCN1941.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 73
  • DSCN1936.MP4
    13.4 MB
  • DSCN1933.JPG
    DSCN1933.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 71
  • DSCN1939.JPG
    DSCN1939.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 64
  • DSCN1940.JPG
    DSCN1940.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 69

Alexander Stöhr

Hello,

I get a drab, worn gut feeling from your bird (although surely enhanced by (high iso?) picture quailty with "smeared details" (no offence, you know). So I think its an adult bird.

And its a Marsh Tit imo:
  • lack of any paler edges to secondaries and tertials, not to speak of a panel
  • pale spot on the bill, in the right place and shape I t think= the real deal and no artefact. There are other helpful threads here about this (thanks again)
  • gut feeling with a rounded, not so large head and a large black cap (in contrast, some Willow Tits have an ID friendly bulky, bull-necked head, others not)

Users who are viewing this thread