• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh Warbler Gosport Hampshire? (1 Viewer)

I spent ten hrs yesterday listening to a marsh wrb at Sammy's Point, Easington. I have singing reed wrbs on my local patch that I hear on a daily basis. That video is a reed wrb singing. Can discuss the appearance till the cows come home but doesn't alter the song

Hi Nick,

I'm hoping you don't think that I believe the Gosport bird is a Marsh, which it clearly isn't. I was just comparing the obvious differences from the Otmoor Marsh.

For the record, it's a Reed Warbler.

All the best

Hi Nick,

I'm hoping you don't think that I believe the Gosport bird is a Marsh, which it clearly isn't. I was just comparing the obvious differences from the Otmoor Marsh.

For the record, it's a Reed Warbler.

All the best

No. It was directed at those who think its a marsh. I watched the otmoor video before I posted aswell.

Firstly to JSB apologies it was more a tongue in cheek comment to stop the debate.

A few hours ago I set up three videos a Reed Warbler, a Marsh Warbler and the Gosport Warbler (acrocephalus rorybremnerius) and tried to make the GW an MW but just could not, it has to be a Reed Warbler surely? The only thing is that one photo I saw to my uneducated eye but comparing with an identification paper was that the primary projection looked longish, but as I say it is to my uneducated eye.

I am quite surprised that this bird has caused so much debate, as a real amateur I think I am actually disappointed that the ID is still (apparently) in question (whatever it is).

One potentially really stupid question - do they interbreed at all?

Thanks for the comments all

How interesting. Is that because of the time of year they moult (I assume) or do they have a more traumatic journey (customs, immigration etc)?

So assuming it is a Reed and all the nails have lined up, why are so many people convinced it is a Marsh Warbler? I find it odd that there is a debate about this, normally these two are easily separated aren't they? (I confess I wouldn't know but in my experience there is never any doubt about which is which).

All very odd, perhaps it is the Gosport effect ;-)

Have a read through this.... http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=58096&highlight=Frodsham

and get some popcorn.

It was accepted as a Reed Warbler

and yes its timing

Marsh: Complete moult pre-breeding, flight feathers completed late march to late April

Reed: Usually replaces flight feathers in Sept-Dec

So very worn tertials suggests they were last replaced last autumn..... and old worn feathers often make a bird look paler and less rusty anyway.

Last edited:
The inescpable fact is that the 3rd pp emargination is where it should be for a Reed Warbler... the blue arrow is where a Marsh should be

Attachments

• reewa.jpg
    reewa.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 177
The inescpable fact is that the 3rd pp emargination is where it should be for a Reed Warbler... the blue arrow is where a Marsh should be

I have been following this thread with interest and this is a very helpful illustration Jane. If you look at Jim Wood's shot of a Marsh Warbler on Shetland here: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=460863 you can see where the 3rd pp emargination finishes - just as Jane illustrated.
Thanks
Hobbes

You can also see that the tertials are not overlapping the secondaries (as they do on marsh warbler including the one above)

Here is a direct comparison of the two birds - you can see the 3rd pp emargination in the field if you look for it. I find it harder to see the tertials

Attachments

• reewa.jpg
    reewa.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 242
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back