• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martin Mere, Mere Sands and around the area (1 Viewer)

I had a quick walk round Mere Sands the other day and was quite shocked to see loads of trees felled, can someone please put forward a theory behind the madness of all the tree chopping around the lakes. These would have been great kingfisher perches and shelter for the ducks in winter. I was glad to see the reeds had recovered by the visitor centre though.

I had a quick walk round Mere Sands the other day and was quite shocked to see loads of trees felled, can someone please put forward a theory behind the madness of all the tree chopping around the lakes. These would have been great kingfisher perches and shelter for the ducks in winter. I was glad to see the reeds had recovered by the visitor centre though.

I'm surprised they've been felling trees at this time of year when birds are still nesting! Even if the trees are nest free there's bound to be ground nesting birds being disturbed. why couldn't any tree felling be done in winter?

Martin Mere this morning, 2 Common Sandpipers, 1 Ruff, 2 Dunlin, 3 Black Tailed Gods, 2 Redshank several ringed Plover, Oystercatchers and Avocets all from Ron Barker hide.
A Green Sandpiper from the Hale Hide. 2 Buzzards flying over with plenty of Tree Sparrows at varying points around the reserve.

Does anyone know if the Pectoral Sandpiper is still around Martin Mere? Thinking of going tomorrow if it is still present.

No reports so far today, it was still there yesterday. I'm hoping to go and see it myself I only live a few miles away but I've been too busy to go for it yet.

No reports of the Pectoral Sandpiper at Martin Mere today . Weather was horrendous in the morning so only went as far as Marshside . Lo and behold , the sun came out and so did the birds . A family of Gadwalls outside the Sandgrounder hide , then a Ruff appeared , then 3 Common Sandpipers , a Snipe , a family of Avocets , a Dunlin , a Lapwing and a Little Stint . Turned into a good day .

Attachments

• dunlin 4.jpg
    dunlin 4.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 81
  • sand5.jpg
    sand5.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 94
  • stint1.jpg
    stint1.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 111
  • stint 4.jpg
    stint 4.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 94
Those Little Stint photos are very nice Col. I've never been lucky enough to see one so close.

Cheers Jaff , as with most things it was luck . When we arrived the Little Stint was up one of the channels in the distance but feeding along the waters edge . Then a herd of cows arrived and gradually drove all the birds towards the hide ( what a result ! ) .

The Juvenile Cuckoo is still showing well from the Ron Barker hide at Martin Mere . It's been there for nearly a week now and is showing no sign of moving on . It's quite flighty and has been moving about from post to post . While I was there it was sitting in a distant bush , then flew onto a post , then a nearer post and then flew over towards the posts in front of the hide . Unfortunately , a couple of gulls were sitting there , took a huff and chased it off . If you have a decent scope and/or a large lens on your camera it's well worth a look . Apologies for these distant shots .

Attachments

• cuckoo 2.jpg
    cuckoo 2.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 118
  • cuckoo.jpg
    cuckoo.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 96
The Kingfishers are back at Mere Sands!!!! Spent the day there today, most of the day at the Rufford hide, but it very quiet, so decided to move back to the visitors centre to have my sarnies and a cuppa, but on getting to the Lancaster Hide we found a pair of Kingfishers sitting on the posts opposite! Unfortunately, I don't have any pics due to forgetting to put my SD Card in my bag DOH!:storm:

Also saw plenty of Great/Blue/Coal tits, Dunnock, Reed Warbler, Chaffinch, Robin, Nuthatch and even a vole!

Good numbers of White-fronted Geese at Martin Mere currently, we saw at least 20 today and they weren't overly distant either. Marsh Harriers are also showing extremely well.

We went on Monday afternoon and stayed till 4-00pm, no whitefronts to be seen with only a few pinkies on view! Just read on the MM website there were 32 whitefronts and a Bean Goose there today!!! Still it wasn't a bad afternoon with Short eared owl, 2 Marsh Harrier, Kingfisher, 2 Ravens and a Water Rail all seen while waiting for the geese to appear.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back