• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Martin/Swallow or ? Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

Supporter
If I didn't have so much time on my hands I would probably just have written it off to not sure and hoped to catch a better view later.

Panjin, Liaoning, China April 8, 2019 Marsh with village on the edge

Working the edges of a marsh and occasionally a flock of about twenty of these very fast movers would suddenly appear, swirl around the edges of the adjacent village at distance from me then disappear again. The field note was for Sand Martin, which I now find ebird has as Bank Swallow now, Riparia riparia. For general shape, speed of flight, and the dark back and wing and the dark face with white neck ring and white underside.

However after processing the photos the best I had was this one and of course I started double guessing myself and thinking that looks a lot like a Plover, but no, the bill is wrong.

Probably over analyzing again.

Attachments

• Sand Martin.jpeg
    Sand Martin.jpeg
    490.3 KB · Views: 50

Owen Krout

Supporter
Thanks Rafael and Grahame. I can agree with Little Ringed Plover. This is about 15km east of the tidal portion of the Shuangtaizi River and the same west of the Lao River, so we don't get a lot of plovers there, but they do occasionally show up in force.

Users who are viewing this thread