• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Martin's 2022 Bird List (Chevy Chase, MD, USA) (1 Viewer)

martinboer

Headed out early this morning to Hughes Hollow, a great birding area visited by many locals. Was on the lookout for a continuing Anhinga, which would have been a lifer, but unfortunately I did not see.

That said, I was happy to see 38 species together with other birders, including two new lifers - a very small Least Bittern hiding under some lillies at the water's edge, and several Prothonotary Warblers. Great morning out in the woods.

April 30

Hughes Hollow - McKee Beshers, Poolesville, MD, USA

109. Blue-winged Teal
110. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
111. Common Gallinule (+)
112. American Coot
113. Least Bittern
114. Great Crested Flycatcher
115. Yellow-throated Vireo
116. Tree Swallow
117. House Wren
118. Orchard Oriole
119. Brown-headed Cowbird
120. Louisiana Waterthrush (+)
121. Black-and-white Warbler (+)
122. Prothonotary Warbler
123. Common Yellowthroat
124. Yellow Warbler

Latest lifer: #873 - Prothonotary Warbler (Hughes Hollow - McKee Beshers, Poolesville, MD, USA)

Last edited:

martinboer

Went for some birdwatching out National Airport in Washington, DC, and added another bird for the year.

May 8

Gravelly Point Park, VA, USA

125. Osprey

Latest lifer: #873 - Prothonotary Warbler (Hughes Hollow - McKee Beshers, Poolesville, MD, USA)

martinboer

A very productive morning, searching for a Sora that has recently been spotted a mile away from my house.

Unfortunately I was not able to spot this small and shy rail but I picked up three lifers in less than an hour...

May 14

Bethesda Trolley Trail, Bethesda, MD, USA

126. Chimney Swift
127. Belted Kingfisher
128. Eastern Kingbird
129. Purple Martin
130. Brown Thrasher
131. Baltimore Oriole
132. Northern Waterthrush
133. American Redstart
134. Prairie Warbler

Latest lifer: #876 - Prairie Warbler (Bethesda Trolley Trail, Bethesda, MD, USA)

Last edited:

kb57

Europe
It's hard to believe Northern Waterthrush are Parulid warblers - saw my first (and only) a couple of years ago in Colombia and was amazed how pipit-like they were in behaviour as well as appearance.

martinboer

Have been returning to try and find the Sora, but still to no avail....

Did see my first waxwings for the year.

May 20

Bethesda Trolley Trail, Bethesda, MD, USA

135. Cedar Waxwing

Latest lifer: #876 - Prairie Warbler (Bethesda Trolley Trail, Bethesda, MD, USA)

Last edited:

martinboer

Went out looking for the Anhinga again, in the dead heat of day...

April 21

Hughes Hollow - McKee Beshers, Poolesville, MD, USA

136. Green Heron (+) in full glory on a bare branch
137. Eastern Wood-Pewee
138. Red-eyed Vireo
139. Indigo Bunting

Users who are viewing this thread