• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Martin's 2022 Bird List (Chevy Chase, MD, USA) (1 Viewer)

True. I've already seen 8 lifers, but maybe more evidence of how few birds I've seen in my life so far...
You've seen a lot more birds than me 🙂 but I guess it is all relative when there are still 'easy' species to pick up. I definitely feel that every lifer I get is a very common bird in the scheme of things.

It's great to read what a birding year looks like in the states. All the species seem really exotic to me. Would love to bird over there one day

Must visit Oregon again - never been birding there but have friends in Troutdale, so have visited Multnomah Falls a couple of times. Got quite a few incidental records on my first visit in May 1990, but on my second trip in Feb 2006 I think my son and I were so focussed on skiing up at Mt. Hood the only species I recall is a Clark's Nutcracker!

Must visit Oregon again - never been birding there but have friends in Troutdale, so have visited Multnomah Falls a couple of times. Got quite a few incidental records on my first visit in May 1990, but on my second trip in Feb 2006 I think my son and I were so focussed on skiing up at Mt. Hood the only species I recall is a Clark's Nutcracker!
It's a great place. I did see the Clark's Nutcracker on Christmas Eve in Colorado. Quite the gift!

I will be in Austria skiing next month and don't expect to pick up more than the odd Buzzard and Chaffinch...

It's a great place. I did see the Clark's Nutcracker on Christmas Eve in Colorado. Quite the gift!

I will be in Austria skiing next month and don't expect to pick up more than the odd Buzzard and Chaffinch...
Never skied in Austria, but I've seen Spotted Nutcracker, Crested Tit, Alpine Accentor, White-winged Snowfinch and (on one occasion) a Lammergeier over the course of ski trips to France and Switzerland...and don't forget Alpine Choughs!

Be nice to see you adding some European birds to the list, I’m sure you’ll get more than that.

Went out with a group of birders on Sunday looking for Short-eared Owls, which had been seen the previous evening, and we also had a chance at a Northern Shrike. Both would have been lifers. But after three hours of searching, and conditions being just too windy, we had to give up once it became too dark. Anyhow, it was still a great afternoon out, we saw 19 species, and I was able to add one more bird to the year list...

February 27

Oaks Landfill, Gaithersburg, MD, USA

79. Red-winged Blackbird

Latest lifer: #869 - Hutton's Vireo (Portland, OR, USA)

Went for a walk out to Hains Point yesterday and picked up a couple more for the year list...

March 2

Hains Pt., Washington, DC, USA

81. Great Black-backed Gull
82. Horned Grebe (+)

Latest lifer: #870 - Hutton's Vireo (Portland, OR, USA)

Last edited:
Saw some birds around Munich on my way to a ski trip in Austria.

March 19

Flughafen München and en route to Austria, Germany

83. Common Buzzard
84. Eurasian Kestrel (+)
85. Carrion Crow
86. Gray Heron
87. Eurasian Magpie

Last edited:
Driving to Austria, spent the night in Vomp, and saw a lot of common European birds for the year list.

March 19

En route to Vomp, Austria

88. Mute Swan
89. Great Cormorant

March 19-20

Vomp, Austria

90. Black-headed Gull
91. Eurasian Jackdaw
92. Great Tit
93. Eurasian Blackbird
94. White Wagtail
95. Eurasian Jay
96. Eurasian Blue Tit
97. Song Thrush
98. Eurasian Tree Sparrow
99. Common Chaffinch
100. European Goldfinch

Happy to be back in majestic Königsleiten for some excellent skiing. Saw a few year birds and a spanking new lifer in a pair of Eurasian Crag-Martin!

March 21

Königsleiten, Austria

101. Yellow-billed Chough (+)
102. Eurasian Crag-Martin
103. European Greenfinch
104. Yellowhammer

Latest lifer: #871 - Eurasian Crag-Martin (Königsleiten, Austria)

Happy to be back in majestic Königsleiten for some excellent skiing. Saw a few year birds and a spanking new lifer in a pair of Eurasian Crag-Martin!

March 21

Königsleiten, Austria

101. Yellow-billed Chough (+)
102. Eurasian Crag-Martin
103. European Greenfinch
104. Yellowhammer

I should've mentioned seeing Crag Martin is one of the advantages of a late season Alpine ski trip - in terms of relaxing ticks, nothing beats soaking in a hot spring near Val d'Illiez, Switzerland whilst watching nesting crag martins on the adjoining spa hotel! Good to hear the skiing is good, son & daughter-in-law are in Saalbach at the moment.

One more for the list, out in the fields, on the way to the airport...

March 23

Munich Airport, Germany

105. Ring-necked Pheasant (+)

Last edited:
Went wine tasting in Virginia, and saw a few more year birds around the way.

April 23

Bluemont, VA, USA

106. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
107. Field Sparrow
108. Swamp Sparrow

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back