• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

martinsi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

As we can't check the key alive at the moment on Serinus citrinelloides martinsi i just want to mention that V.C. Martins name is Virgilio Canas Martins to find here. He was director of Instituto de Investigação Científica de Angola. Here as

Núcleo documental oriundo de Virgílio Canas Martins (1909-1973), professor de agronomia, que esteve como bolseiro na Alemanha na segunda metade da década de trinta e que foi representante da Mocidade Portuguesa junto da Juventude Hitleriana.

I am not sure if this is new information.

Virgílio C. Martins, and "his" Serin/Canary ssp.

Well done, Martin on Senhor Martins!

It sure looks like you've found the proper guy, but (simply to complicate things) ;), regarding ...

• the today invalid (Black-faced) Serin/Canary ssp. "Serinus citrinelloides martinsi" DA ROSA PINTO 1962* (OD in full, unseen by me, but Google Snippet view/s; here and here, all in Portuguese – i.e. it's the same journal/OD, as in the second link in post #1). The OD itself is on p.37 (out of pp. 21-38), though further on in the same journal (on p.163) we find the following phrases:
Finalmente são também devidos agradecimentos ao Dr. Delmiro Sieiro pela ... e ao Director do Instituto de Investigação Científica de Angola, Professor Virgílio Cannas Martins, pelo apoio e compeensão que lhe mereceu esta primeira exploração ornitplógica realizada pelo Instituto.
Also see p.256 (again, here, as pointed out in #1, mentioned as): "... Prof. Eng. Virgílio Cannas Martins, Director deste Instituto, as facilidades ..."

... which does ought to be Professor Virgílio Martins (1909–1973) [note the (acute) accent over the second i (= í, in his first given name)], this far I agree ... however (better safe than sorry), I wouldn't dare to claim his full name more than; Virgílio C. Martins, with titles like; "Director do Instituto de Investigação Científica de Angola", "Direcção do Engenheiro Agrónomo ..." ... and onwards.

At this point I'm still a bit confused, hesitating (only) on the C. [Canas/Cannas?] part.

However, his years does look reliable (even if I haven't been able to find neither an Obituary, nor a Birth record). In the Paper The Archives of Luanda, Angola (from 1974), by Joseph C. Miller, published in The International Journal of African Historical Studies 7 (4): pp.551-590, he is mentioned (on p.552) as "The late Eng. ... Virgílio Cannas Martins, then [in 1972] Director of the Instituto ..."

Also see; here and here, but note that his second given name sometimes (quite often) is written Canas, with single-n, like; here (on p.160), or here (on p.154) and here (on p.11). He's as well mentioned; here (in English, though in a different context), or here ... and elsewhere. Like here!?!

On top op this, there's quite a few notes (online) of a: "Martins, Virgílio Canas, Curriculum vitae, Luanda, Of. Argente & Santos, 1965". Again with "Canas" ... !?!

Which version of his second given name, "Cannas" versus "Canas" is correct, or not, is unknown to me. I just noted the use of the two different versions, in various papers. For whatever it's worth.

Keep digging!

Björn

PS. Could it be this guy?

*A. A [António Augusto] da Rosa Pinto. 1962. As observações de maior destaque das expedições ornitológicas do Instituto de Investigação Científica de Angola. Boletim do Instituto de Investigação Científica de Angola, Vol. 1 (No. 1): pp. 21-38.

Last edited:
Bom dia, boa tarde, amigos,
Just to get some minor things straight: in the text copied by Björn there are a few errors. The double ll and nn do not fit in Portugese writing, for such sounds (Spanish ll and ñ) lh and nh are used. However, in personal and geographical names in languages one never knows, they often are in conflict with grammatical rules. Yet Virgillio is certainly wrong, as Virgilio in Portuguese would be. There is a difference with Spanish, I give the simple examples of (Portuguese) rio = river, dia = day and the name Maria. In Spanish the i in diphthongs is treated as a semiconsonant; without an accent on i the name would sound Márya, the river and the day would be rió and dyá, so the correct spelling is: María, río, día. The u in diphtongs is treated likewise: alambre de púa = barbed wire, púa = sharp point, without accent the pronunciation should be: pwá. But Portuguese has those combinations as pure vocals, Rio de Janeiro, Maria, rua (street). So the name Virgilio (evidently after the Latin poet) needs an accent: Virgílio, because it should not be pronounced -lío.
An example somewhat related to birds: Spanish tapaculo = cover your buttocks, which in some countries - as considered indecent - was adapted to: tapacola (cover your tail, physically impossible, unless you sit on it!). The Portugese word for culo (French: cul, like in cul-de-sac) is cuo (the l between vocals has disappeared often in the development of the language), pron. kóo-oo, like in voodoo. Allow me to tell a little anecdote here: the Brazilian teacher of a course in Holland told about the visit with her children to a meadow area with cows (the Dutch word for cow is koe, pron. kóo). They said: oh, look, how many pigs! So she corrected: they are no pigs, and the child said: I know, but you never allow us to say "cuo" . . .
Well, I suppose that's enough stuff for a poem, anyway for careless reading!
Cheers, enjoy, Jan van der Brugge

Quotes:
Also see p.256 (again, here, as pointed out in #1, mentioned as): "... Prof. Eng. Virgillio Cannas Martins, Director deste Instituto, as facilidades ..."
... which does ought to be Professor Virgílio Martins (1909–1973) [note the (acute) accent over the second i (= í, in his first given name)], this

(OD in full, unseen by me, but Google Snippet view/s; here and here, all in Portuguese – i.e. it's the same journal/OD, as in the second link in post #1). The OD itself is on p.37 (out of pp. 21-38), though further on in the same journal (on p.163) we find the following phrases:
There is an explicit dedication in the OD itself, which reads:
Dedicamos esta raça ao Prof. Virgílio Cannas Martins, director do Instituto de Investigação Científica de Angola, pela compreensão que lhe têm merecido os problemas da Divisão de Ortinologia, traduzida em estímulo e apoio para o desenvolvimento da ornitologia angolana.
(E.g.:
- start: https://www.google.com/search?q="De...+Virgílio+Cannas+Martins"&newwindow=1&tbm=bks -- Google doesn't want to show this in a snippet;
- end: https://books.google.com/books?id=QU4kAQAAIAAJ&q="traduzida+em+estímulo+e+apoio" .)

The Eng. is short for professor of Engenheiro-Agrónomo. Agronomy engineer ? Agronomists know botany entomology and zoology around agriculture?

The Eng. is short for professor of Engenheiro-Agrónomo. Agronomy engineer ? Agronomists know botany entomology and zoology around agriculture?

Reminds me of the A&M seen in land grant universities in the US, which is short for "Agricultural and Mechanical".

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back