• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (1 Viewer)

A touch of the Talbot Kelly's on that Turnstone...very nice..!

ps...your dragons have a great appeal and are quite unique in their styling...:t:

I love waders, and I love how you've done this. One day, many years from now I would like to think I could portray some of my favourite birds like this.
Wonderful.

Russ

Thanks! I like turnstones.

Here is the first sketch in the new sketchbook. It's a soldier beetle from the backyard this summer.

Attachments

• soldierBeetle.gif
    soldierBeetle.gif
    86.1 KB · Views: 41
Thanks Tim, this one was from a series of photos I took with a 100mm macro in the backyard. I have a stereo dissecting microscope and compound microscopes that I use for some of the other drawings. With the insects you are pretty limited if you want much detail.

It seems that I missed a lot in this thread!
A very attractive series of beatifuly and precisely sketched
drawings! Everyone of them unique, I love them all Matty!

Paschalis

Hello!

I can´t decide what I like better: the sketches have a very light and white appearance, but nevertheless don´t seem quick.
The ink-coloured pictures again seem so vivid and alive, but still a little comicstrip-like. Very captivating.

cheers

Here is another fast watercolor and ink painting. This one is of a scarlet tanager that our daughter spied out the kitchen window.

Transparent Watercolor and ink
5 x 7 inches
Arches 140lb HP paper

A WIP of the painting can be found here.

Attachments

• scartanEt.jpg
    scartanEt.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 39
  • scartanEtCu.jpg
    scartanEtCu.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 25
Another timber rattler... this was the smaller of the two we came across on our hike.

5 x 7 inches (detail is about 2x3 inches)
Transparent watercolor and ink
Arches 140 lb HP paper

A work in progress can be found here.

Attachments

• timberFin.jpg
    timberFin.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 34
  • timberCU.jpg
    timberCU.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 36
Excellent work, Matty. I particularly liked the scarlet tanager. I'm working on male and female summer tanagers at the moment. Your timber rattler is terrific, too. I've done a few herps, too, and a hellbender salamander is on my list of things to do. Keep up the fine work. tbbilbo

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back