• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B1.2 10x42 quick review (1 Viewer)

Harber8

United States
This is just a quick impression of a Maven B1.2. I've only had it a couple of days. My other glasses are Nikon E11 8x30s. I've bought and sold several similar binoculars this last year, all at the same price range. All were pretty good. What I wanted out of these was light wieght, good fov, no field flattener, good image quality. I really love the little E11's, so these are meant to compliment those glasses. I have few gripes about the B1.2's. I wish the focus went a bit further. Without glasses, I just about run out of room to have the ability to have a focused image. They do work well with glasses, which helps. I don't like the floppy objective covers, but they can easily be replaced. The eyecups have four settings. I wish they had a bit more resistance, but they stay put ok. Dept of field is pretty good for 10x, but without direct comparison, don't really know how good. The E11's spoil me big time on that score. They are magical. On the positive side, fov is very good, and the image certainly is sharp edge-to-edge, at least to my eyes. I'm not real concerned if there's a tiny bit of imperfect edge quality. Image quality is very good. The only binoculars I have looked through that were a bit better were Swaro Habitch 10x40's, and some SLC's. The two things I really like about the image of the B1.2's are how inclusive the view is, and the ability to focus really well on one object, whatever it might be. That's one thing that bugged me a bit with Monarch HG's- I had a bit of trouble with that. That might have been a slight collimation problem, maybe. These are really solid, good binoculars. Colors seem pretty neutral, not much warm tint. They pop pretty well. Sharpness is very good, as is brightness and clarity. Overall, I like them. Hopefully, I now have the two binoculars I need to hang on to. I imagine all the better binos at this price range are fairly similar. These are very good.

Last edited:
This is just a quick impression of a Maven B1.2. I've only had it a couple of days. My other glasses are Nikon E11 8x30s. I've bought and sold several similar binoculars this last year, all at the same price range. All were pretty good. What I wanted out of these was light wieght, good fov, no field flattener, good image quality. I really love the little E11's, so these are meant to compliment those glasses. I have few gripes about the B1.2's. I wish the focus went a bit further. Without glasses, I just about run out of room to have the ability to have a focused image. They do work well with glasses, which helps. I don't like the floppy objective covers, but they can easily be replaced. The eyecups have four settings. I wish they had a bit more resistance, but they stay put ok. Dept of field is pretty good for 10x, but without direct comparison, don't really know how good. The E11's spoil me big time on that score. They are magical. On the positive side, fov is very good, and the image certainly is sharp edge-to-edge, at least to my eyes. I'm not real concerned if there's a tiny bit of imperfect edge quality. Image quality is very good. The only binoculars I have looked through that were a bit better were Swaro Habitch 10x40's, and some SLC's. The two things I really like about the image of the B1.2's are how inclusive the view is, and the ability to focus really well on one object, whatever it might be. That's one thing that bugged me a bit with Monarch HG's- I had a bit of trouble with that. That might have been a slight collimation problem, maybe. These are really solid, good binoculars. Colors seem pretty neutral, not much warm tint. They pop pretty well. Sharpness is very good, as is brightness and clarity. Overall, I like them. Hopefully, I now have the two binoculars I need to hang on to. I imagine all the better binos at this price range are fairly similar. These are very good.
I wonder how the Maven B1.2 10x42 compares to the GPO HD 10x42? Has anybody compared them?

Just wanted to update this review- I've had these B1.2's a few months now. Nothing really to say except I cannot imagine any binoculars significantly being much of an improvement. These are good in every way, especially the very nice and precise focuser. The brightness, contrast, bright natural colors, clarity, fov, the comfortable view, all of it. I am totally happy with these, and thats not to say that other glasses are not equally nice. I would love to read about a comparison with some of the other contenders at that price range. I looked through some Conqests at Bass Pro Shops, and they were most impressive.

Sounds like you've talked yourself into keeping the Maven! But I was wondering if you like the 8x30 EII but wanted 10x bin for greater distance, did you try the Nikon 10x35 E2? Same wide 70* AFOV, made by the same magical Nikon elves. :)

I too would like to know how they compare to the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 because they’re on the top of my list for a new pair of binoculars. By the way, I spoke to one of the Maven staff and was told they’re considering updating the eye cups and they can be retrofitted to the B1.2 binoculars. Thanks for posting your experience with the B1.2’s.

I too would like to know how they compare to the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 because they’re on the top of my list for a new pair of binoculars. By the way, I spoke to one of the Maven staff and was told they’re considering updating the eye cups and they can be retrofitted to the B1.2 binoculars. Thanks for posting your experience with the B1.2’s.
Hi, What is wrong with the current eye cups that they would consider updating them??

Hi, What is wrong with the current eye cups that they would consider updating them??
They collapse far too easily compared to most other binoculars I’ve owned - had this issue with several Maven models I’ve owned and find it mildly annoying. Otherwise build quality on the B1.2, B2, and B6 is very good (I’ve owned all of those).

The B1.2 is a fine binocular and certainly a great value proposition in today’s market. There are a number of very positive reviews and comparisons all over the internet, including a few here on BirdForum. I bought a B1.2 8x42 shortly after they came out, targeting their use specifically for one of my favorite local warbler spots. It has many very tall, old-growth hardwoods, interspersed with many flowering bushes, and a small stream running through it. This environment creates extreme variations in light and a challenge to any optic. After using the Maven a bit and direct comparing it to my MHG, found that I still preferred the MHG. Now, the B1.2 has a fine image and this is picking some nits along with personal preference, but to my eyes the MHG‘s image just appeared a bit more consistent and satisfying over the extreme light variations. I found the MHG’s color contrast (for lack of a more precise term) slightly better - more pop. Also found the SFL’s colors just a smidge more naturally saturated and easier than either - but for the price difference, they should be.

It is a great time to be an optics enthusiast, so many terrific options.

I have not tried the 10x35 nikon E2's. I'm sure they are very good. The little 8x30 E 11's are so overall amazing that I sometimes wonder why I need anything else. I do like the super clear, vivid view the B1.2's give me, and I enjoy the huge contrast in the different viewing experiences between the two binoculars. In a lot of ways, the E11's are better than anything else I have ever looked through. The sheer volume of visual information the little nikons can provide in a single view is pretty hard to compete with. But for a 10x42 weatherproof roof view, the Mavens are very nice. Good to have both!
Sounds like you've t2alked yourself into keeping the Maven! But I was wondering if you like the 8x30 EII but wanted 10x bin for greater distance, did you try the Nikon 10x35 E2? Same wide 70* AFOV, made by the same magical Nikon elves. :)

Good to read some more content on Mavens. Still rather an obscure brand; I’ve never met or seen anyone in the UK who owns one. They look pretty handsome!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back