• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Maven B1.2 or Meopta MeoPro Air? (1 Viewer)

My intent was not to hijack the thread, but give raptorbfl what IMO is a better binocular than his two choices at his price point to try for his benefit. Sorry, I suggested the GPO HD if it disrupted the continuity of the thread. If I had to pick between his two choices, I would choose the Maven B1.2 because I think it is brighter and has sharper edges than the Meopro.
Denco, thanks. So you have used and handled BOTH the Maven B1.2 and the MeoPro Air?? I lean more to the Meopta since it is a long established company and no one knows for sure if these small start ups like GPO, Maven will even be in business long term! Look what happened to Zen-Ray, Alpen.

I could be wrong here, and if I am, someone will jump on me, but I believe Meopta are fully 'In House' with their manufacturing, same as Swaro.
I really like that, Don't know why..... I just DO !!

Dennis

I don't intend to be insulting here nor am I trying to start an argument. This is my perspective and it may or may not be useful, but I bet I’m not alone with my view here. I’ve been on BF for a little over 15 years, if memory serves, I think you have been here a little longer than that. In ALL of that time you have never changed. You build up an irresistible urge to start posting about your new binocular. The dam breaks and off to the races we all go. Pretty soon you eventually repeat the process. With the recent turn in this thread I think we are seeing the same thing. Just recently we were all treated to all Dennis all the time on ALL of the threads on BF. Someplace the old adage of enough is enough got ground to dust. You eventually backed off on that approach. Then all of a sudden we get the GPO love. I bet I was not the only one who thought “here we go again!’ I happen to be a fan of free speech and I don’t really begrudge you your posts. It is the sheer volume of them along with a lot the stuff that eventually shows up.

I do not disagree with Ratal’s post above. I have had considerable eye time with the GPO Passion HD and it is a terrific binocular. However ALL of today’s binoculars in that price class are terrific binoculars. The “just blew me away” statement you made with the GPO is simplify the flush of newness with a strong dash of acceptable ergonomics. That coupled with the urge to use colorful adjectives. Nothing in that price class really “blows away” anything else in that price class. Certainly there are things that will separate different specimens for different users, but it really involves the alignment of many different things. Your MO seems to be if you like it we should all like it and you keep hammering away with the same points in multiple posts in multiple threads trying to prove your argument. No problem with the GPO suggestion, but you were starting to overdo it. I have sometimes overdone it in the past, so I recognize the symptom.

So you are saying you have hands on side by side time with both Maven B1.2 and Meopta Air?? Since you bought a GPO can we conclude that side by sides with all three can be included??

Denco, thanks. So you have used and handled BOTH the Maven B1.2 and the MeoPro Air?? I lean more to the Meopta since it is a long established company and no one knows for sure if these small start ups like GPO, Maven will even be in business long term! Look what happened to Zen-Ray, Alpen.
Yes, I have tried just about all the mid-tier binoculars. I can understand your confidence in Meopta because they have been around a long time, but I don't think Maven or GPO is going away anytime soon. They both seem to really cater to hunter's offering rifle scopes and spotting scopes also, and they are quite popular in that market. Both GPO and Maven give you exceptional value by, as they say in their advertising, avoiding the middle man and selling direct to the consumer. The GPO HD's are MIJ, and they come back to Germany for a final inspection before being shipped, and most of the Mavens are similar except I believe they are inspected in Lander, Wyo. where they are shipped from. But if you feel better about buying a Meopta I would recommend one of the Meostar's. The thing I didn't like about the Meopro was the soft edges, and all the Meostar's have sharper edges all the way up from the standard B1, B1 HD and B1 HD Plus. Of course, they get a little better as you move up the food chain, but the price goes up also with the optical quality with the B1 HD Plus topping out at $1500. The Cabella's Euro HD is pretty much the same as the Meostar B1 HD, and sometimes you can find them on sale at Cabella's. They have some on sale now, but I don't believe they have the 10x42.

Last edited:
I 100% agree with this conclusion.

The GPO Passion HD is a "buy once, delight forever" binocular and far, far superior to either of your choices.
Yeah, and you’ll remember your camland purchase forever as well. I know I’ll never forget mine. 😩

The GPO is certainly good glass and great build quality but I’d buy direct from GPO. You’d actually be able to return them if you don’t like them.

I could be wrong here, and if I am, someone will jump on me, but I believe Meopta are fully 'In House' with their manufacturing, same as Swaro.
I really like that, Don't know why..... I just DO !!
The higher priced lines are but I'm not sure about their mid-priced and lower-priced lines are. I'm pretty sure that the Optika line for example is Chinese sourced.

Yes, I have tried just about all the mid-tier binoculars. I can understand your confidence in Meopta because they have been around a long time, but I don't think Maven or GPO is going away anytime soon. They both seem to really cater to hunter's offering rifle scopes and spotting scopes also, and they are quite popular in that market. Both GPO and Maven give you exceptional value by, as they say in their advertising, avoiding the middle man and selling direct to the consumer. The GPO HD's are MIJ, and they come back to Germany for a final inspection before being shipped, and most of the Mavens are similar except I believe they are inspected in Lander, Wyo. where they are shipped from. But if you feel better about buying a Meopta I would recommend one of the Meostar's. The thing I didn't like about the Meopro was the soft edges, and all the Meostar's have sharper edges all the way up from the standard B1, B1 HD and B1 HD Plus. Of course, they get a little better as you move up the food chain, but the price goes up also with the optical quality with the B1 HD Plus topping out at $1500. The Cabella's Euro HD is pretty much the same as the Meostar B1 HD, and sometimes you can find them on sale at Cabella's. They have some on sale now, but I don't believe they have the 10x42.

With all that being said the most important thing for the OP, I’m pretty sure is how they all smell. Is it a $1000 smell, a sub alpha smell or the real deal top of the line smell👃. Without that smellmation it will be hard to make a choice of the three 🤙🤪.

I think a detailed smell review of the top 5 best smelling binoculars would be a well needed and good post to get to the bottom of all these optical opinions. The nose knows 🙄.

I guess it’s time for me to put the afternoon lunch scotch down.

Yet more evidence while everyone should put Dumco on IGNORE. PLEASE. Let's make this a collective effort and join the wonderful club, the air is great up here!

The more you feed the troll the more it thrives, he lives on sucking the life out of threads and making it all about himself. If everyone pretends he doesn't exist and uses the ignore function, he won't be able to sink his tentacles into productive threads and derail them anymore.
I really hate using the ignore feature. For me you have to be pretty crude, condescending or nasty. I might just pass up on reading the posts. I’m sure there were a lot of people ignoring my attempts at humor and others. Dennis has never been rude or nasty to me, even if we’ve gone at it a few times with some heavy sarcasm (More on my side). I do think though, he brings some humor and lightness to sometimes very dry conversation. And posts like yours make me laugh so hard I almost fall off my chair. And for me using the ignore feature is for girlymen, IMHO. ✌🏼

Sucking the life out of threads, come on, that’s funny. 😄

Yet more evidence while everyone should put Dumco on IGNORE. PLEASE. Let's make this a collective effort and join the wonderful club, the air is great up here!

The more you feed the troll the more it thrives, he lives on sucking the life out of threads and making it all about himself. If everyone pretends he doesn't exist and uses the ignore function, he won't be able to sink his tentacles into productive threads and derail them anymore.
The trouble with putting Dennis on your ignore list is that it lets him go on unchecked. As much as I want to do so, I have resisted the urge so far so as to be able to offer some counter arguments to his nonsense!

Last edited:
"And for me, using the ignore feature is for girly men, IMHO. ✌🏼"

Are you calling eitanaltman a girly man in an round about way!:ROFLMAO:
Absolutely not, he’s a gentleman. I was being rhetorical. And it was one of my attempts at humor, or is it sarcasm. And I might ad he has a been a wealth of knowledge for me.

I have to tell you the truth Dennis, I can understand why a lot of people would want to ignore you 😜. But I do enjoy picking apart and dissecting some of the things you post, and throwing them back at you. And you know it. I will rephrase my statement, for me to use ignore I would feel like a girlyman. For for others who have been here a long time , I can fully understand why they use the ignore feature on you, probably for their sanity 😝.

Different strokes for different folks.

You BF sparing partner
Paul

"And for me, using the ignore feature is for girly men, IMHO. ✌🏼"

Are you calling eitanaltman a girly man in an round about way!:ROFLMAO:

"Sink his tentacles into productive threads and derail them anymore." I didn't know I had tentacles! That is even funnier!:ROFLMAO:
Lol, come on you know that’s funny. And without you he wouldn’t be able to come up with that material. 🫢

The forum is like a TV, if you do not like the show then change the channel. I really do not like it when someone is telling me how to address/avoid another member, that is MY decision.

The problem is you are giving him what he wants, you cannot "check" him or "dissect" his nonsense and "throw it back". He's immune to that, he has no shame, you will NEVER EVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEERRRRRRRRR change him, he was exactly like this when I joined this forum OVER FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. Every few years some new blood comes in, they attempt to engage because he's such a clown that how can you not? but he's always the same, always vomiting the same blather over everyone else's threads because whatever pathology rots his diseased brain compels him to have to be the constant center of attention.

All you do when you try to spar with him is give him more posts to respond to and further derail the thread. Then it becomes a back and forth between Dumco and whoever thinks they can effectively counter him. Look at how many posts of this poor thread (RIP) are either Dumco or people responding to his worthless inanity.

Trust me, if everyone ignores him, then nobody responds to him, he will shrivel up and wither away like any parasite that has its food source removed. DON'T FEED THE TROLL.
Eitan

Eitan,

You shouldn’t hold it in all balled up inside, just let it out. Just let your opinions and feelings fly🫢. You seem to have a little irritation with Dennis. How much or what portion of your last post was meant to sting or meant for humor, I don’t know. But either way I found it to be very funny and I’m laughing. The last time I seen the word ever, written like that was when my daughter was 9 and she said she’d never go to judo practice again.

I guess I have a lot to learn about sparing with Dennis. Your basically saying to me its like trying to win an argument with my wife 😧. I’ll have to give it up now. 🙏🏼✌🏼.

The forum is like a TV, if you do not like the show then change the channel. I really do not like it when someone is telling me how to address/avoid another member, that is MY decision.
dries1. Exactly. I don't agree with a lot of posts, but I just blow it off. But if you filter the good information from the not so good information, you can learn a lot on bird forum and pick up a lot of helpful and very valuable information. It is just like the Internet, you shouldn't believe everything you read. It was your post in the Binocular Bargains thread that led me to buying the GPO HD 10x42 binoculars on Cloudy Nights, and I have to thank you for that tip. They turned out to be excellent binoculars at a bargain basement price.

He dropped the price from $750.00, I was contemplating it but decided I already have wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much glass. From what others have said the HD series in 42 are excellent. Glad they worked out for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back