• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

May 19, 2018 Guayaquil, Ecuador Birds, Part II (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, I took these in Guayaquil, Ecuador on May 19, 2018, whiling awaiting my trip to the Galapagos. Some were taken from my hotel window, so apologies for the poor quality.

I am not familiar with South American birds (my first trip there), so I am rather clueless. My thoughts are:

1. some kind of parakeet?
2. Rufous-tailed Hummingbird? (pretty sure)
3. some kind of blackbird/cowbird?
4. some kind of seedeater?
5. ??? very interesting and funny bird, I am stumped at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Howard

Attachments

• parakeet2.jpg
    parakeet2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 12
  • hummingbird1.jpg
    hummingbird1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 16
  • blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 13
  • seedeater1.jpg
    seedeater1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 11
  • funny_bird1.jpg
    funny_bird1.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 18

THE_FERN

1 =pacific parrotlet: 2=amazilia hummingbird 3 I can only assume is unusually dark immature /female shiny cowbird: 4=variable seedeater: 5=Pacific hornero

howiewu

1 =pacific parrotlet: 2=amazilia hummingbird 3 I can only assume is unusually dark immature /female shiny cowbird: 4=variable seedeater: 5=Pacific hornero

Thanks, interestingly, the Pacific Hornero has a deformed bill (I suspected so, but since I had not seen one before, I did not know if this was normal or not).

THE_FERN

I see what you mean, with a broken lower mandible and a slightly odd upper one, but actually the overall impression isn't that different to the normal condition (overall bill length, thickness)

Users who are viewing this thread