• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meadow or Richard's Pipit (Spaarndam, near Amsterdam Netherlands Nov 28, 2020) (1 Viewer)

Frank-birding

Frank van de Velde
Supporter
Today I went to a meadows area near Amsterdam, where Richard's Pipit had been sighted multiple times over the last weeks. I think I heard Richard's Pipit call alright. But I didn't see any clearly unfortunately. The only images I was able to take from a possible Richard's far off where these. The quality of the pictures is abysmal, my apologies. I think that it is actually not a Richard's but a Meadow Pipit (as there where also many in the vicinity). It seems to be a bit on the bulky and long tailed side though, but not quite enough for Richard's? Could anybody tell from these vague pictures?

(Note, the 5 images are almost certainly the same bird, it's one sequence, but I'm not entirely sure as between photo 3 and 4 I lost the Pipit for half a second as it appeared to land, but thought better of it and flew on.)

Regards, Frank

Attachments

• 20201128-124615_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3395.jpg
    20201128-124615_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3395.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201128-124615_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3396.jpg
    20201128-124615_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3396.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20201128-124616_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3397.jpg
    20201128-124616_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3397.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 20201128-124617_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3399.jpg
    20201128-124617_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3399.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 20201128-124617_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3400.jpg
    20201128-124617_Fuji-X-T3_DSCF3400.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 58
Thank you, next time I’ll take care to attach better images. I had a slight hope that picture #3 would show enough of its shape. But it’s clear, the images are just insufficient.

Regards, Frank

I can't add anything from the pictures but I would think that if you saw it even vaguely well and weren't sure, it probably wasn't a Richard's pipit. They are a strikingly different shape to meadow pipits (and any other pipits I've seen). The first ones I saw were from 4 floors up, across a road and about 100m away and I still knew they were "different" instantly.
Michael

Hi Dawsy, thank you for sharing this experience. I went back to the same area yesterday (in the vain hope to capture better images), and got thoroughly confused trying to photograph the many Meadow Pipits flying over. Good to know that a Richard's Pipit would have be readily recognisable.

Bye, Frank

Both species tend to call in flight, and have very different calls. Meadow has a weak and insipid series of "tseep" notes, where Richard's generally has a loud, rasping "schreep".

I can't add anything from the pictures but I would think that if you saw it even vaguely well and weren't sure, it probably wasn't a Richard's pipit. They are a strikingly different shape to meadow pipits (and any other pipits I've seen). The first ones I saw were from 4 floors up, across a road and about 100m away and I still knew they were "different" instantly.
Michael

Both species tend to call in flight, and have very different calls. Meadow has a weak and insipid series of "tseep" notes, where Richard's generally has a loud, rasping "schreep".

Thank you Dawsy and DWM for your tips. It's not easy for me to discern Richard's call, as in this habitat not only Meadows occur, but also Water Pipit, White Wagtail, Grey Wagtail while it's often very windy (and thus hard to listen properly) as well. Today I went back a third time, not really looking for Richard's Pipit as it believe it left the area now. But I was still confused by a White Wagtail, its call (through quite stormy weather) and it's long tail ;) Never mind, its great to observe, get tips, and try to learn!

The pictures strongly suggest the bird, which I would say is a pipit, to have a very weak bill. Which is good for Meadow

Hi gerdwichers8, thank you, yes I think you're right. This is not a Richard's Pipit.

Regards, Frank

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back