• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mediterranean or spotted flycatchers, Mallorca, Spain (1 Viewer)

James111

United Kingdom
All were in North East Mallorca, 4/5 October 2022.

I only discovered the existence of the Mediterranean flycacther (i.e. that it had been split from spotted, by IOU) just after seeing birds 1 and 2, which were at La Gola nature reserve in Port de Pollença.

1a.JPG1b.JPG
2a.JPG2b.JPG
3a.JPG3b.JPG

I think that all three are Mediterranean, but not sure. I'd prefer to have seen both of course.

On 1 and 2, the extensive white head streaking, shorter-than-tertials primary projection, and clean flanks (on what you can see of them anyway), look good for the Balearic subspecies of Mediterranean, I think. And I think the lighting could easily be hiding a slightly browner appearance, based on the difference in the pictures of number 3.

On 3, the primary projection is longer but the head streaking and flanks again look good for Balearic, as does the browner colour on pic 3b (though the lighting is even making it look greenish). This one was at the entrance to the Boquer valley.

What do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back