• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Melangyna labiatarum ID? (Cambridgeshire, UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All
I have searched far and wide and the best I can get to is Melangyna labiatarum.
Found in:
1 - a damp, woodland hedgerow,
2 - umbilifers around,
3 - Cambridgeshire locale.

Also seems to fit with dull thorax and yellow scutellum.

But I have never seen this species before so it would be helpful if someone could confirm or put me right.....

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• Pic1aa.jpg
    Pic1aa.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Pic2a.jpg
    Pic2a.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Pic3a.jpg
    Pic3a.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Pic4a.jpg
    Pic4a.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Rotherbirder

Can't be certain from these images though, as you say, it is likely from the circumstances and location. It would have been helpful to have a view of the frons. When seeking info on insects it would also be useful to have the date that the photo was taken, as phenology can also play a part in identification.

RB

DoghouseRiley

Can't be certain from these images though, as you say, it is likely from the circumstances and location. It would have been helpful to have a view of the frons. When seeking info on insects it would also be useful to have the date that the photo was taken, as phenology can also play a part in identification.

RB
Thanks for your inpuit Rotherbirder

Can you think of any other likely candidates?

Yours, Gareth

Users who are viewing this thread