Melodious or Icterine Warbler, South of France

timsg80

Gregor Tims
Apologies for the very poor quality of pictures, and I doubt that anyone will be able to tell from them whether the bird is a melodious or icterine warbler, but I am posting them here on the off chance that someone can! The pictures were taken near Uzès in the south of France today. Having seen many melodious warblers over the last few days, this one stood out as having dark grey-black (definitely not dark blue) legs and a more clear black panels on the wings.

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 198
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 196

KenM

Apologies for the very poor quality of pictures, and I doubt that anyone will be able to tell from them whether the bird is a melodious or icterine warbler, but I am posting them here on the off chance that someone can! The pictures were taken near Uzès in the south of France today. Having seen many melodious warblers over the last few days, this one stood out as having dark grey-black (definitely not dark blue) legs and a more clear black panels on the wings.

Any help would be great.

Suggesting black (dark) panels on the wing, might infer that there is a corresponding adjacent pale panel?

Cheers

phil baber

artist for birds
If it was one of the 2? Those long primaries would suggest an Icky. But the photos, for ID purposes, are a bit dire. Sorry Tim. :(

timsg80

Gregor Tims
If it was one of the 2? Those long primaries would suggest an Icky. But the photos, for ID purposes, are a bit dire. Sorry Tim. :(

They're much worse than dire! I think the bird was an icterine as well, the pictures just about illustrate the long primaries which were rather more obvious in real life.