• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Melodious warbler Hippolais polyglotta ? Western France today (1 Viewer)

Hello everybody

could someone please confirm, or if not correctly identify, that this is "just" a Melodious warbler (Hippolais polyglotta)

sthe bird was seen in the bushes on the edge of Chevigny outside Angers

TIA

Attachments

• 8O4A5741.jpg
    8O4A5741.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
  • 8O4A5740.jpg
    8O4A5740.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 8O4A5735.jpg
    8O4A5735.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 64
  • 8O4A5734.jpg
    8O4A5734.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 56
Hello,
no its either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler.
Please note against MW
  • extensive blackish smudge on the lore
  • too short bill
It has the loose textured feathers of a juvenile bird and those are hard (several examples here on BF), but I get a Chiffchaff vibe from your bird. I think its mainly by the (nearly) complete lack of an supercilium.

And despite a bright greenish wing patch, its no Bonellis Warbler for me.

Another feature against a Hippolais sp. is the width of the bill at the base, which is much too narrow in your bird, as clearly demonstrated in the first image. Definitely a Phylloscopus, as Alex said.

RB

Hello,
no its either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler.
Please note against MW
  • extensive blackish smudge on the lore
  • too short bill
It has the loose textured feathers of a juvenile bird and those are hard (several examples here on BF), but I get a Chiffchaff vibe from your bird. I think its mainly by the (nearly) complete lack of an supercilium.

And despite a bright greenish wing patch, its no Bonellis Warbler for me.
A bright eye ring and short primary projection, makes me agree with your Chiffchaff vibe, Alexander. There is also a lot of yellow refection from the leaves to make it look brighter than it is, I think.

Thank you all for your help

I will get better at this !
;)

Big news ! we found a Black-winged Kite (Elanus caeruleus) nesting site this afternoon :)

thanks agian
BM
Just come back from a trip to Namibia. Over the last 3 weeks, we saw a large number of them moving north. They were even more numerous than the Pale Chanting Goshawks.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back