• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Memory Shot! (1 Viewer)

MrHappyNomad

Maybe it's my memory or just a sign of these "viral" times. I can't remember what this bird is. Can anyone help?

Coastal waters, long legged wader, long bill, shades with wings so it can see his meal. Wish I had more detail but the behavior is the key (I think).

(Sorry the pic is so washed out.)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bird.JPG
    Bird.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 77
That is a very heron kind of behavior and, perhaps I'm being ignorant, but that doesn't look like any American specie that I know about. At best, Green Heron? But that's very, very green!

That is a very heron kind of behavior and, perhaps I'm being ignorant, but that doesn't look like any American specie that I know about. At best, Green Heron? But that's very, very green!

Only Black Heron does that (I've seen that behaviour many times), it's an African species as said above.
I assumed (due to image quality and from the OP wording) the photo is not his but taken from e.g. a TV doc or from other source (I may be wrong on this though).

Only Black Heron does that (I've seen that behaviour many times), it's an African species as said above.
I assumed (due to image quality and from the OP wording) the photo is not his but taken from e.g. a TV doc or from other source (I may be wrong on this though).

I've seen Tricolors use wing shading, granted not nearly a full circle such as the Black.

Thanks, all! A non-birder friend asked me what bird it was and, yes, he did see it on a clip. I thought maybe a Little Blue but I'll go with the well informed. I have birded in Southern Africa and may have seen it there but memory fades like aging feathers! Now, where did I put that bird list?

Thanks again.

As everyone has said, it's Black Heron (also sometimes Black Egret).

In many ways, this Egretta looks like Little Egret, in that it has dark legs with strongly yellow feet, and a plume at the rear of the head in breeding season. Except it's black and quite a lot smaller.

It's also sometimes confused with Slaty Egret, which has yellow feet but also yellow legs and, when you can see it, a white chin patch and yellow throat, and the plume. But Slaty (the delicate slaty blue-grey plumage of which is in my opinion one of the most beautifully-coloured plumages of any bird) is noticeably bigger.

And Black has this umbrella fishing behaviour as a normal thing, and the other two do not.

I know this thread has already resolved the OP's question, so I don't really need to make my post, or post any photos. But I'm going to do so anyway. We couldn't go to Africa last spring, we won't be able to go at yearend, we probably won't be able to go next year either. Which makes me sad. This thread made me look at photos of Black Heron and these other birds and I'm going to share a few with you and beg your indulgence.

They are all from Botswana

The first two are from Chobe, showing Black and Slaty together, by the side of an Openbilled Stork. In the first photo, you can compare their sizes and colours. In the second, you can see Black fishing, while the Slaty stands stoically.

The second pair of photos, from Kwara, shows Black next to Little Egret, so you can compare the sizes and similarities as well as the differences. In the first photo of this pair, the Little Egret's plume shows up well, but the Black not so much; so the fifth photo shows the Black at Kwara showing its plume.

I hope some of you enjoy these, and apologies to those who don't.

Attachments

• 141229523 Chobe.JPG
    141229523 Chobe.JPG
    729.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 141229526 Chobe.JPG
    141229526 Chobe.JPG
    739.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 180104063 Kwara.JPG
    180104063 Kwara.JPG
    714.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 180104061 Kwara.JPG
    180104061 Kwara.JPG
    681.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 180104066 Kwara.JPG
    180104066 Kwara.JPG
    512.5 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back