• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar B1.1 8x32 Alpha Quality ? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I have been waiting to pull the trigger on this binocular since my first purchase of the Cabelas Euro version back in 2017, so when I saw SportOptics.Com was now offering a 16 percent off coupon code(Euro16) bringing this binocular down to around $750 US shipped I knew it was time. First .... I have no affiliation with this company. I Choose this company because of all the great reviews they have received both in their customer service as well as their competitive prices. Below are pictures of my Swarovski 8x30 CL first generation 2015 model side by side to the Meopta B1.1 8x32. Size wise the differences too small for me to choose one over the other. Weight with the Meopta about 5 ounces heavier this also is for me at least not a reason for using the Swarovski over the Meopta. I saved the last few opinions of what I consider the most important for me at least ..... With the Eye placement/Eye relief and the FOV besting the Swarovski. The eye relief being a tad better than the 8x30 CL with the FOV very noticeably wider than Swarovski. Optically I found both to be pretty much the same. Quality of construction/appearance both very high with the Meopta giving nothing up to the Alpha Class 8x30 CL. I never based my opinions of what the binocular cost when considering if it should be in that so called Alpha family of binos. Only how it feels/handles and performs optically. For me it’s Alpha class because of how it gives nothing up to my Swarovski 8x30 CL and where it is most important for me it provides a easier relaxing view with my glasses. For those who will have their doubts just because of its price. Well just have this same binocular sourced thru Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss and assembled using their highly paid workforce then you would see that Alpha Class price tag.

Attachments

• B01E0E41-A490-495D-B78F-9EB3283954C9.jpg
    B01E0E41-A490-495D-B78F-9EB3283954C9.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 325
  • A1727DD4-E680-4156-A4AF-C15F9D200B3A.jpeg
    A1727DD4-E680-4156-A4AF-C15F9D200B3A.jpeg
    197.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Very nice review GCole. I"ve been using a Meostar HD 10x42 and S2 spotting scope for about 4 years now. Meopta is an alpha maker, no doubt.

I have been waiting to pull the trigger on this binocular since my first purchase of the Cabelas Euro version back in 2017, so when I saw SportOptics.Com was now offering a 16 percent off coupon code(Euro16) it was a no brainer. Below are pictures of my Swarovski 8x30 CL first generation 2015 model side by side to the New Meopta B1.1 8x32.

I forgot to mention the Meopta boxing , packaging, along with all the paperwork(instructions of use) were no less than some of the best I have ever seen provided with any new binocular. There website super easy to register for the 30 year transferable service warranty providing one with the certificate of registration for the next owner. SportOptics.Com shipped these the same day, completely bubble wrapped. They did a great job. I am pretty impressed, I definitely would buy from SportOptics again.

Attachments

• CB3E7C89-AA80-4F29-8BD9-00C3A9C20BEC.jpg
    CB3E7C89-AA80-4F29-8BD9-00C3A9C20BEC.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Glad you like the Meoptas they are an excellent glass, the 8X32 were the only Meostar (aside from the ER on the 12X50) that did not mesh with my facial eye-sockets the, the eye-cups were too small in diameter, if they were a bit larger in diameter, I would surely have kept them. I have the 7 and 8X42 B1s and really enjoy the glass.

Andy W.

Glad you like the Meoptas they are an excellent glass, the 8X32 were the only Meostar (aside from the ER on the 12X50) that did not mesh with my facial eye-sockets the, the eye-cups were too small in diameter, if they were a bit larger in diameter, I would surely have kept them. I have the 7 and 8X42 B1s and really enjoy the glass.

Andy W.
Andy. I had the same problem with the Meopta Meostar 8x32's so maybe our eye socket's are close in size. I also tried the Meopta Meostar 8x42's and although I thought they were a very good value for the money they weren't quite as good as my EDG 8x42's which makes sense because of the difference in price. The one Meopta Meostar I think is the standout in the Meostar line is the HD 15x56. It is the one I kept and I haven't found a high magnification binocular I like better and I have even compared it the Swarovski SLC HD 15x56 and I didn't see much difference except the Swarovski is twice the price. Many Youtube videos confirm there isn't much difference between the Swaro and the Meopta. The big Meostar HD 15x56 really controls CA well for such a high power glass even at the edge. Maybe it is the Schott ED glass Meopta uses. I use it for early morning game spotting In Yellowstone National Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. It really helps me spot the wolves in Yellowstone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1zaj5H48f4

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the Meopta boxing , packaging, along with all the paperwork(instructions of use) were no less than some of the best I have ever seen provided with any new binocular. There website super easy to register for the 30 year transferable service warranty providing one with the certificate of registration for the next owner. SportOptics.Com shipped these the same day, completely bubble wrapped. They did a great job. I am pretty impressed, I definitely would buy from SportOptics again.
Sportoptics.com is my goto optic's dealer also. You always get some kind of a discount and they ship quick and have super easy returns. One of the best online binocular dealer's I have found.

I had eye placement issues with the 8x32 also, until I started using them with the Swaro winged eyecups. No problem after that.

I had eye placement issues with the 8x32 also, until I started using them with the Swaro winged eyecups. No problem after that.
I hate winged eyecups. I have tried the Swaro, EDG and the Field Optics type. They bother me where they touch the side of my face and they cause the oculars to fog up. Just personal preference.

Last edited:
I really liked the Euro HD 8x32 in terms of optics, build quality, and ergonomics. Ultimately I sold them off because I could not get them to work with my eyeglasses (just not enough eye-relief).
I would certainly consider them very close to the quality of the 'true' alpha models, giving up very little to even a discerning viewer.

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back