• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meostar B1.1 plus (1 Viewer)

Per Kestrel1's link, images of the 4 new colour options, along with the standard green . . .

I applaud them for being 'unique'.... I know Maven has done much the same and kudos to them as well. While not a huge market, it is a market and both companies are testing the waters.

Hi Gijs,

I’ve not seen the blue version of the 8x32, and nor could I find one doing some quick googling. Was it Meopta's corporate blue colour?
See an example from a brochure, it would seem to make an attractive choice

Some will be aware that Meopta also made B1 models for Cabelas, with a green covering distinct from the regular Meopta one - also an attractive version
See an example from AG Pank at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=336344
It shows the 8x32 version next to a Leupold Gold Ring HD 8x32 in dark brown and a Swarovski EL SV 8x32 in Sand Brown

John

Attachments

• Meopta Blue.jpg
    Meopta Blue.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Cabels Green 8x32.jpg
    Cabels Green 8x32.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 116
John, post 23,
It is a tiny bit darker blue than the color on the flyer, but it is really a beatiful blue. It is probably made for a special occasion.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks John, I see the pimples in the armor are now gone, that is a good thing. Not sure how those ever made the final cut from the design committee.

I suppose it was a decision of one person. But I am not sure I like this design either, it looks like a piece of
very rough grade #20-40 sandpaper was used on the front.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Most of the the available photos don’t show the bridge area detail clearly. The best seems to be the one in post #7
The texturing seems to mimic a leatherette style finish. It’s presumedly there to provide visual contrast with the rest of the RA covering,
and add to the updated look compared to the earlier B1’s

. . . but as we all know, the old saying about beauty and the eye of the beholder

John

Attachments

• B1 Plus Brown x42 .jpg
    B1 Plus Brown x42 .jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 84
It seems to give off some type of rugged tough guy look. I am thinking of the "Incredible Hulk".

The look is different, and not attractive.

Jerry

That ridge doesn't look pleasant to hold, and a pain to produce. I liked the old design better, more smooth and rounded than this literally "roof" design.

MeoStar B1 Plus

I have the new MeoStar B1 Plus binos and feel that they are easier to grip for extended periods of time than the B1.1 10x42 binos. I let a buddy try them out who also has a pair of B1.1's and he also liked the new body style. We both felt the hinged system was a bit stiff but probably related to not having much use. I heard Meopta is also coming out with 4 Limited Edition colors for this model too.

MeoStar Plus on the left

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/dd363/bman940/IMG_7886_2.jpeg

Hi Kestrel,

The caption in Finnish is no help:
‘Ola and Kristoffer hunted deer this weekend in spectacular terrain. Several deer snuck into the Meopta binoculars, but unfortunately only the wrong variety’

Enlarging the image and opening the shadows, it appears to have a module under the barrel(s)

If so, it’s likely to be a rangefinder with the electronics located under the barrels, as is the case with the Swarovski EL Range and the Kahles Helia
Meopta already has two RF models, the MeoRange and the MeoPro Optika, neither of which use this approach

Gijs has tested various rangefinders, and for a quick summary see post #19 at: https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3883587
What’s most notable optically, is that only the Swarovski has the high and even transmission across the visible spectrum, from both barrels,
that we expect from conventional binoculars

In contrast, others such as the 1st generation Zeiss, the 2nd and 3rd gen Leica’s and the MeoRange, all have weirdly shaped transmission curves that differ between barrels
Presumedly this is an unavoidable consequence of the implementation of the RF function in the various models
So it would seem that Meopta is exploring how to achieve better transmission

And you’d hope that the large high-contrast logo is not got going to be a feature of future Meopta models!

John

Attachments

• New Meopta RF?.jpg
    New Meopta RF?.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi Jerry,

While Meopta’s advertising may try to give the impression ‘By Hunters, For Hunters’, their products
- including the rangefinders and sights - are not markedly different to those of Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski

Since Meopta’s ‘inside knowledge’ clearly doesn’t result in products that dominate the hunting market, it raises the questions:
- Are the folks at Meopta just really bad at hunting?
- Or is it that hunters just don’t understand what they need?

Hopefully Humorously
John

UPDATE

Yesterday I received an email from someone who said that he was a senior executive at Meopta, and that I was a complete idiot!
I know - as if I haven’t heard that before?

He said that some of the new coloured binoculars are clearly designed for hunting, especially in faraway places
like the Citric Republic of Orangia and Pinkistan

Well there are a lot of countries in the world, and those sound like ones that I’ve heard of before. So it just goes to show |8.|

John

p.s. Looking back at the email, I’m beginning to think the guy may not really be from Meopta
But he seems to know what he’s talking about, so who can say?

UPDATE

Yesterday I received an email from someone who said that he was a senior executive at Meopta, and that I was a complete idiot!
I know - as if I haven’t heard that before?

He said that some of the new coloured binoculars are clearly designed for hunting, especially in faraway places
like the Citric Republic of Orangia and Pinkistan

Well there are a lot of countries in the world, and those sound like ones that I’ve heard of before. So it just goes to show |8.|

John

John:

He is probably the guy, I have owned both orange and pink binoculars, they
were Leupold Yosemite models.

The pink camo Yosemite is highly desired by the way.

Swarovski proudly sells an EL O-Range model. They are more expensive than the NL series.

I think you are exaggerating, but I like the Meopta effort here. It will do
well with the hunting crowd. Smart marketing there.

Jerry

Attachments

• swarovski-el-o-range-binoculars.jpg
    swarovski-el-o-range-binoculars.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
There is good reason for hunters to carry pink or orange binoculars, that way they are harder to lose and they may help a little to prevent getting shot by other hunters.
Deer are color blind afaik, so they don't care if you wear puce, but other hunters can be a real hazard.

I’m disappointed the 8x32 isn’t HD. They offer hd in the Cabelas version. A few minor tweaks and I think they could have a best-in-class 32 bino.

With the last several years of alpha innovations Meopta appears to be satisfied with “good buy” status and staying relatively unknown.

I see what they did with the S2 spotter, a true alpha spotter, but their binocular line could be so much better. I like the locking diopter being introduced, but coatings hardly are a discernible upgrade for consumers. Why not a magnesium chassis and shave that 42mm series under 30oz like competition?
I wish they would snag a body designer from Leica to dress these things up a bit.

I have the Meopta B1.1 8x32. I previously owned Cabelas version HD 8x32. I like the view of the the B1.1 better. I also think the diopter upgrade along with its coatings tweak is also a plus with having the Meopta Brand over Cabelas rebranding. Now with Meopta’s price increases with their New line up of Binoculars, the price of $756 I recently paid at SportsOptics Shipped for my B1.1 8x32 is looking like a steal.

The post is captioned:
‘Colored MeoStar B1 Plus available soon in sandy yellow, brown, orange and pink’

John

There's only the photo of the chocolate brown version - it looks yummy!
I like the Brown. I wonder if the colors other than the standard off green will add additional cost. I just upgraded to the Plus 8x32 Meostar with regular off green now I am thinking I am going to have to get that cool looking Brown also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back