• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merganser i.d. help, Northern California Tahoe Area (1 Viewer)

JonLivesay

Questioning if this is a common or red-breasted. Taken yesterday 10/01/2006 at Taylor Creek on the south shore of Lake Tahoe.

Attachments

• Question Bird1.jpg
    Question Bird1.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Question Bird2.jpg
    Question Bird2.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 150
Wasn't really birding this time I was taking pictures of the Kokanee Salmon spawning in the creek. Happened upon the Mergansers swimming in the creek. Thought they looked different from the Common Merganser that we see on the lake so often.

The bird is Mergus meganser - what you call Common Merganser and I call Goosander. Based on back colour, sharpness of head/neck demarkation, bill shape and crest shape.

Here is M. serrator (Red-breasted for comparison).

Hope this helps

Attachments

• bfpost.JPG
    bfpost.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 87
Hi All,

Since there is a bit of divergence of opinion, I'll add mine to the fray. I am solidly in the Mergus merganser camp for the reasons mentioned and illustrated by Jane. Probability wise, Common Merganser would be much more likely to be seen in the Sierras than Red-breasted, especially along a river. And in fact, according to this birdlist, Red-breasted is less than annual in that county.
http://www.geocities.com/placerbird/PlacerCountyBirds.htm

Chris

Juvenile Common Merganser (Goosander). Note the whitish facial markings along with as others have said, white throat patch and sharp border between rufous and grey on the neck. Bill shape also favours Mergus merganser.

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back