• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Merganser (USA) (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I just found this photo from years ago, taken in Pennsylvania (USA). Can anyone confirm if this is a female Red-breasted Merganser for me? Thank you!

Attachments

• Merganser.JPG
    Merganser.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 57
Thank you both! I had identified it as such when I saw it - about ten years ago! - but I was a kid back then and I sometimes wasn't as rigorous in my identifications as I should have been, so the confirmation is greatly appreciated!

birdmeister

United States
I'm curious, do you know what date or time of year this was taken? The reflection on the water and the bird's appearance suggest maybe well into the summer, when RB Merg is very rare (although it definitely is one!).

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Supporter
I'm curious, do you know what date or time of year this was taken? The reflection on the water and the bird's appearance suggest maybe well into the summer, when RB Merg is very rare (although it definitely is one!).
Worth an eBird report definitely!

Hello, sorry for the late reply. The photo was taken sometime between 13 and 31 May 2012, at an artificial pond in Bucks County, PA.

Users who are viewing this thread