• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin (juv) (1 Viewer)

I4ani

Hello everybody,
Looking for some images of a Merlin Juv, for ident purposes, ( not to steal, copy etc), I have looked through the various galleries on BF, but are there any others that you know of please? The bird in question is probably this years young ie not with down on head and is probably self suficient,smallish (kestrel size) and with a very definite white/light "eyebrow line",spotted upper wing feathers,blue/grey eye and beak, stripped tail, brownish back and not a very pronounced moustache???Sorry to all the experts, but this maybe the first Merlin I have seen.
Thanks in advance, and will pop back later for any replies.

Regards I4ani

To London Birder,
Done as you suggested, yes it's a Merlin, many thanks, another one to add to my growing list.
Regards I4ani

For Hannu,
Thanks for the info, what a wonderful site, good images, now confirmed that it is a Merlin, juv female by it's size.I took several images of her, but down loaded the card to a laptop which I have only just got back, and having checked the unprocessed images, can confirm it is indeed a MERLIN.
A friend has earlier today brought me a copy of the magazine "Bird Watching" September 2003, which has images/story of Merlins which has also confirmed the ident.
As an aside this issue also has about 20 tests comparisons of small (60's)size telescopes if that is of interest to anybody??
Thanks again I4ani.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back