• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

merlin ? - South of Poland (1 Viewer)

Michał Jaro

Hi.
With these bad photos, I can't identify this bird - could it be a merlin? kestrel? maybe you can see more.

Attachments

• IMG_9538..jpg
    IMG_9538..jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_9540..jpg
    IMG_9540..jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9543..jpg
    IMG_9543..jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9551..jpg
    IMG_9551..jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9555.JPG
    IMG_9555.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 83

Alexander Stöhr

Hello Michal,
difficult pictures (you know), but I cant see nothing wrong for a Merlin. Surely no Kestrel with that shape.
But then I realized, that I was biased by your question (no offense): I looked at the pictures ones more, isnt the tail too short for a Sparrowhawk, (smaller) falcons? But this cant be judged in your pictures, a foreshortening effect might be the reason for this here.
More: proportions look some kind of extreme, like a cartoon with round body, short wings and short tail. Best fit is indeed a Merlin, but proportions are cartoon-like (I hope thats understandable).
I must admit, that I didnt comment, when I didnt kne, that you, that you suggested a Merlin or a Kestrel (and therefore assuming that you got the impression of a smaller falcon (-like bird).

conclusion? a bird for quiz-modus, but I agree with PW23 best fit is a Merlin

Michał Jaro

Thank you very much for your help, I knew there are people who can see better than me :) I should give you more tips for the quiz. Before I took the photo, I saw the bird from the side - I immediately had the impression of a falcon (without any discussion), flight fast, straight, at the same height, frequent wing movements, at a height "above the trees". Seen today, south of Poland.

Users who are viewing this thread