• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin? (1 Viewer)

redshift

Toad Popper
At Vane Farm RSPB Sunday (Loch Leven Scotland). Flew out and landed 10 yards away from the Heron, which was at the same distance and is included to give sense of scale.

What is it?

Grey Head and back, black tail, white on chin and distinct rufous cheek.

Male Merlin?

Please help a struggling learner .....

Attachments

• merlin.jpg
    merlin.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 249
Ok. Thanks! Looking at the guides I thought the barring on the tail on a Sparrowhawk would be more obvious, but clearly not at that distance .... now I've looked at some photos in the gallery I can see the resemblance. (I'm happy - Sparrowhawk is new to me too!)

Hi Redshift,
I suspect you met Spud. He is a male Sparrowhawk who has taken to hunting over the open ground between the hides at Vane Farm. He uses the embankments leading to the hides as cover -flying low along the Hide tracks then swooping up over onto the boggy areas to nab unsuspecting Meadow Pipits. He has become an increasingly common fixture around the Carden hide for the last 3 months.

Steve G said:
Hi Redshift,
I suspect you met Spud. He is a male Sparrowhawk who has taken to hunting over the open ground between the hides at Vane Farm. He uses the embankments leading to the hides as cover -flying low along the Hide tracks then swooping up over onto the boggy areas to nab unsuspecting Meadow Pipits. He has become an increasingly common fixture around the Carden hide for the last 3 months.

Great! Not just a species identification but even his Christian name. Wow! :bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back