• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Mexican Duck or Mallard? (1 Viewer)

K B Srinivas

Hello All,
I saw this bird in May 2021 at Lake Cochise, Willcox, Arizona. Want to confirm whether this is a Mallard or a Mexican Duck. Can someone please help with the ID?

DSC_0283.jpg

Thanks,
Srinivas.

mzwebby

I am no expert on these, but I'm fairly sure that this is NOT a regular mallard. Notice that the bill is pretty uniformly dark yellow (ruling out female mallard), the overall coloration is fairly dark (darker than female mallard as well). A quick look at eBird indicates that in the location you saw it there have been reported hybrids, so I suppose that is also a possibility.

Lisa W

Staff member
I would go with Mexican duck. The sharp line between light tan on throat and body, and the eye line are two things I used to look for when I lived in SE Arizona

Butty

sharp line between light tan on throat and body, and the eye line
These are also features of black duck and are variably prominent in wild-type/pure mallard - so the fact that this bird shows them doesn't really close any options.

Users who are viewing this thread