• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico Hirundine/Swift (1 Viewer)

Agree it looks more like a swift. A definitive ID would be impossible from this photo.

And Vaux's is also about to be split by the IOC

'Aug 5 Post actual split of Ashy-tailed Swift, Chaetura andrei from Vaux’s Swift Chaetura vauxi.'.

And Vaux's is also about to be split by the IOC

'Aug 5 Post actual split of Ashy-tailed Swift, Chaetura andrei from Vaux’s Swift Chaetura vauxi.'.

Yes, but not relevant for a bird seen in Yucatan as the other species belongs to northern South America

Niels

AFAIA Vaux's is the only common swift in the area so I'm perfectly happy to tick this ;) Others' standards may vary

My list, my standards ;) 3 people independently thinking probable swift, and I also had suspicions hence why I put up the photo. As I said, your standards may vary! It's not a competition :)

So it's definitely a swift from that image then :smoke:

FWIW, I'd probably be happy to tick this. I'd have my memories of the bird and the circumstances as well as the photo and together they'd make for highly likely.

(As far as I could see, colour pattern as well as the shape rules out most other things. But "standards" vary—as does eyesight, optical equipment, aural ability etc etc. I try to not only record what I think I've seen but what I saw (what aspects of the bird) and how well / certain I am too. I also record and count things I hear and can recognise...)

FWIW, I'd probably be happy to tick this. I'd have my memories of the bird and the circumstances as well as the photo and together they'd make for highly likely.

(As far as I could see, colour pattern as well as the shape rules out most other things. But "standards" vary—as does eyesight, optical equipment, aural ability etc etc. I try to not only record what I think I've seen but what I saw (what aspects of the bird) and how well / certain I am too. I also record and count things I hear and can recognise...)

FWIW I can't help but recall that there have been countless threads on here, where a single unclear image has been posted which makes everyone think "yeah, it looks like it's probably this". Then a couple more images appear that show the bird is in fact something rather different.

FWIW I can't help but recall that there have been countless threads on here, where a single unclear image has been posted which makes everyone think "yeah, it looks like it's probably this". Then a couple more images appear that show the bird is in fact something rather different.
It's been a nice string of posts though! :king:

Yes well, "when the facts change, I [try to] change my mind..."

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back