• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico-short trip (1 Viewer)

exley

Hello all:

My girlfriend and I want to go to mexico for a very short trip. 2-3 days from New York. We dont have a car and can't rent one. Does anyone have any suggestions about a one stop birding destination, that can be reached with public transport- taxi/bus form an airport, where we can stay for the duration and where the birds abound. any habitat is ok, desert/jungle etc as long as serious birding can be done. perhaps its a tall order but any suggestions would be most appreciated.

thanks

exley

Ok, I'll try a few suggestions. Because of the short time available, you should check what destinations in Mexico have direct flights out of any of NY's airports. You will probably do well to stick to the touristic hot spots where it will be easier to fly into and out of, and you'll have more services available. The first choice is probably Cancun, followed by Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and then Manzanillo.

If you can get your hands on a copy of "A Bird-Finding Guide to Mexico" by Steve N.G. Howell, you'll find a descriptioin of many sites in Mexico and particularly around these four places. The descriptions contain instructions on how to get to the birding sites, species list and some suggestions for travel into Mexico you may find useful.

You can also check a recent report of a weekend birding trip to Cancun by Steve B somewhere in this Forum's archives.

Good luck! I'll be looking forward to reading your trip report when you're back!

Manuel

I noticed a lapsus in my last comment, the weekend birding trip report is by Dave B, not Steve. If you're reading, my apologies Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back