• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mexico (west) - Nov / Dec 2021 (3 or 4 weeks) (1 Viewer)

Mike Hunter

It's tough being in the UK looking at foreign birding trips with the highly restrictive traffic light system in place. Mexico has been consistently amber, and is a really good birding destination. I'm looking at western Mexico for three or four weeks in November / December this year. I'm at the early planning stages, wouldn't want to book until nearer the time, but if anyone is interested then do shout up.

I've been to Mexico once before, a part birding and part cultural trip with my non-birding wife. Even so I managed to clear up all the Yucatan goodies. But such is the birding in Mexico, not too difficult and often very birdy.

Mike

It could be a good time to hook up with some Audubon Christmas Bird Counts, assuming they're running them this year.

With Mexico now on the UK red list, sadly I doubt Mexico is now a realistic possibility Arbu.

With apologies to all birders thinking about Mexico, mentioning Mexico being consistently amber just a few days ago and jinxing it.

Mike

No, although you could spend ten days in Guatemala (still amber) at the end, though I don't suppose there are direct flights to the UK from there, so you might run into problems from transiting another country. Come back via Spain maybe. But it would take some research, which would probably be best done just before you were due to come back, as the rules change so much. And you wouldn't want to book your return flight before then.

Last time I checked (so could be wrong) Guatemala wasn't letting Brits in. I won't book anything until the week or fortnight before to reduce risk, and the UK does three week travel update cycles so plenty of time for things to change/get worse.

Coming back via Spain to avoid £2,250 hotel isolation is a possibility if you had time.

Mike

From the FCO website: "Guatemala does not permit the entry of travellers who have been in the United Kingdom, Brazil or South Africa in the 14 days prior to their arrival."

As long as you had been in Mexico for 14 days before, you would be fine, then.

In fact, come to think of it, I suppose the same would apply to spending 10 days in the USA on your way back, which would be easier than Guatemala.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Should your traffic lights change for Mexico, I would very much be interested in joining such a birding trip to western Mexico. However, December or beginning of 2022 would be better for me. I have also birded out Yucatan as a lone birder.

George Wagner

With Mexico now on the UK red list, sadly I doubt Mexico is now a realistic possibility Arbu.

With apologies to all birders thinking about Mexico, mentioning Mexico being consistently amber just a few days ago and jinxing it.

Mike
I'm sorry the restrictions put a trip to West Mexico out of reach. It is, as you said, "not too difficult and often very birdy." I will be going to the coastal area of Jalisco in a few days, for a 2 week visit. We were there last in May. The tropical semideciduous forest was the driest I've ever seen, and it wasn't quite as birdy as it is after the rains. Still, a wonderful place for a bird walk. I think I have a bird list for the last visit. I can dig it up if anybody is interested. Since then, the rainy season has dumped a lot of rain, so I'm hoping things will be a little livelier. I'm hoping to see the Blue Mockingbird again this visit. I have seen him several times in different years in the same area, and would love to see him again, even if the sightings are brief. He is a shy character, so unlike other Mockingbirds. I hope you will soon be able to go.

I should point out that we had to get a covid test before getting on the plane to go back to the US. $75.00 US each! Still, worth it.

I should point out that we had to get a covid test before getting on the plane to go back to the US. $75.00 US each! Still, worth it.
Sounds like somebody is profiteering nicely there.

If there was anyone who wanted to come birding in Mexico, and then skiing in the States afterwards, I'd be up for the whole thing, even with the dual tests to get home to England. Otherwise I'm not sure what I'd do in the States for ten days in winter, as there wouldn't be a lot of new birds for me.

Sounds like somebody is profiteering nicely there.

If there was anyone who wanted to come birding in Mexico, and then skiing in the States afterwards, I'd be up for the whole thing, even with the dual tests to get home to England. Otherwise I'm not sure what I'd do in the States for ten days in winter, as there wouldn't be a lot of new birds for me.
So, you have most of the birds that would be in Southern California in winter? You could always take a ferry over to Catalina Island and get a few endemics if you don't have those. I looked them up just now and was surprised by how many are there. After Mexico, I should take a trip to Catalina.;) I know I've seen some of these birds, but that was before I became a birder. Too bad our sailboat, Peregrine, is in Mexico. I would love to take her, anchor on the backside and hang out for a week. Oh well a few days at one of the hotels would be good, unless the Island is closed due to the new variations of Covid. Endemics: Bewick's Wren, Thryomanes bewickii catalinae California Quail, Callipepla californica catalinensis Catalina Hutton’s vireo, Vireo huttoni unitti House Finch, Carpodacus mexicanus clementis Horned Lark, Eremophila alpestris insularis Allen's Hummingbird, Selaphorus sasin sedentarius Island Loggerhead Shrike, Lanius ludovicianus anthonyi Orange-crowned Warbler, Vermivora celata sordida Spotted Towhee, Pipilo maculatus clementae
A walk in the Back Bay in Newport Beach in winter can show you quite a few good birds.

So, you have most of the birds that would be in Southern California in winter? You could always take a ferry over to Catalina Island and get a few endemics if you don't have those. I looked them up just now and was surprised by how many are there. After Mexico, I should take a trip to Catalina.;) I know I've seen some of these birds, but that was before I became a birder. Too bad our sailboat, Peregrine, is in Mexico. I would love to take her, anchor on the backside and hang out for a week. Oh well a few days at one of the hotels would be good, unless the Island is closed due to the new variations of Covid. Endemics: Bewick's Wren, Thryomanes bewickii catalinae California Quail, Callipepla californica catalinensis Catalina Hutton’s vireo, Vireo huttoni unitti House Finch, Carpodacus mexicanus clementis Horned Lark, Eremophila alpestris insularis Allen's Hummingbird, Selaphorus sasin sedentarius Island Loggerhead Shrike, Lanius ludovicianus anthonyi Orange-crowned Warbler, Vermivora celata sordida Spotted Towhee, Pipilo maculatus clementae
A walk in the Back Bay in Newport Beach in winter can show you quite a few good birds.
I guess it would be quite pleasant, although those are all subspecies. I did do a winter trip to California just before Covid began, so I saw a lot of what there is to see. But I didn't go to the desert and there probably are quite a few birds there that I haven't seen.

I guess it would be quite pleasant, although those are all subspecies. I did do a winter trip to California just before Covid began, so I saw a lot of what there is to see. But I didn't go to the desert and there probably are quite a few birds there that I haven't seen.
Yes, sub-species. I don't know how other people do things, but I do list sub-species on my life list. Some have become their 'own bird'. So is it the usual thing not to list sub-species? Or maybe list them, but not count them as a lifer? Arizona might be a good choice, if you haven't been there. Edit: I just looked at a beautiful post about Arizona by ZDHart in the Binocular category. If you haven't seen it, have a look.

Last edited:
I don't list sub-species - there are just too many. Agreed, Arizona might be a good choice if I do end up doing this.

Have an option with a guide for Mexico (Oaxaca and Chiapas) if anyone interested - really good local guide, 17 or 18 days, 3 to 20 Nov. No PCR test needed.

Mike

Glad that Mexico has opened up. I'd be interested. But, like George, I could only manage (mid) December to January.

Glad that Mexico has opened up. I'd be interested. But, like George, I could only manage (mid) December to January.
Yes it's good news about Mexico and dozens of other countries from a Brits perspective, finally feels like we're turning a corner on travel.

Often the case, finding a window that suits everyone can be a challenge - I'm stuck really with a November window.

Cheers

Mike

If you are heading to San Blas, I can recommend an excellent guide there. One of the best places in Mexico for birding. I saw more than 150 species in one week.

If you are heading to San Blas, I can recommend an excellent guide there. One of the best places in Mexico for birding. I saw more than 150 species in one week.
Thanks Maroon Jay

Who is that? - thanks. I've got the name of a guide at home and I'll compare to see if the same. Away for a few days.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back