• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MIA Bluebird (1 Viewer)

Ollie’s Mom

United States
Hi all, desperately hoping someone can give me some insight!
We are first time bluebird landlords. I’ve been observing a male and female feeding in our yard (in Maine) for about a year. This spring we finally put up a nesting box for them and to our delight they began building a nest within days!! On Friday we checked the box and saw 6 eggs!!! 😃Saturday it appeared Mama began incubating. We observed both male and female that afternoon.
We have not seen the male since!!! Is it normal for him to disappear while she incubates?? I’m devastated thinking that something may have happened to him. Mama is still there and comes to feed on the mealworms we leave for her. Any thoughts??

Hi all, desperately hoping someone can give me some insight!
We are first time bluebird landlords. I’ve been observing a male and female feeding in our yard (in Maine) for about a year. This spring we finally put up a nesting box for them and to our delight they began building a nest within days!! On Friday we checked the box and saw 6 eggs!!! 😃Saturday it appeared Mama began incubating. We observed both male and female that afternoon.
We have not seen the male since!!! Is it normal for him to disappear while she incubates?? I’m devastated thinking that something may have happened to him. Mama is still there and comes to feed on the mealworms we leave for her. Any thoughts??
Has the male returned?

Has the male returned?
No he hasn’t :(. Eggs hatched on Wednesday and we’ve been watching/hoping he would return, but no sign of him. I’ve been making sure I have plenty of meal worms out for mom to feed on (and feed her babies), but not sure what else I should do. Any ideas would be so appreciated!

No he hasn’t :(. Eggs hatched on Wednesday and we’ve been watching/hoping he would return, but no sign of him. I’ve been making sure I have plenty of meal worms out for mom to feed on (and feed her babies), but not sure what else I should do. Any ideas would be so appreciated!
That's too bad. Likely he's gone for good... the circle of life and all. The males do stay with their mate through the whole process and usually raise a second brood together as well. It's good that he was able to see her through the hatching process though, because without him to bring her food, she wouldn't have been able to incubate them. As long as she has plentiful food sources, she'll be able to raise them successfully on her own, though the poor thing will need a break when once they're self sufficient! The only thing you can do is make sure the box has some sort of snake/rodent guard below it so predators won't crawl up into the hole to get the little ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back