• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro ID (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

I found this micro perched on a fencepost in mixed woodland yesterday. Unfortunately it flew off before I could get a side view of it. I've worked through my field guide several times but the best I could come up with is a worn Ypsolopha of some sort - which I'm sure it isn't!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1471 ed for id 1500.jpg
    IMG_1471 ed for id 1500.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 30
Many thanks for that, Paul - this was driving me to distraction!

The habitat etc seem right to me, as it was found on a fencepost near to the woodland edge - and fence palings and woodland margins are mentioned in Stirling & Parsons. Also the map shows that it has previously been found in north Cumbria, and the sighting was made in Finglandrigg Wood to the west of Carlisle. Although the flight period is specified as June to July, I've found plenty of moths a month outside of the S&P specification, and so that doesn't bother me.

I worked through my field guide four times and didn't even put this species in the "possible" category! I think I was perhaps too focused on the large dorsal patch about a third of the way along - not seeing it as part of a larger feature - which isn't really apparent on the reference image. However, with this exception it seems like an excellent match to me, and I can't really see what else it can be - assuming the guide is comprehensive.

Regards

Paul K

Hello again!

I submitted the photo to the Cumbria branch of Butterfly Conservation with Altenia scriptella as a speculative ID to get the ball rolling. They came back with Carpatolechia decorella!

This seems to be a better match in the top third - particularly with regard to the feature I referred to as the large dorsal patch. This species isn't illustrated in Stirling & Parsons - which explains why I couldn't find it!

Paul K

Hello again!

I submitted the photo to the Cumbria branch of Butterfly Conservation with Altenia scriptella as a speculative ID to get the ball rolling. They came back with Carpatolechia decorella!

This seems to be a better match in the top third - particularly with regard to the feature I referred to as the large dorsal patch. This species isn't illustrated in Stirling & Parsons - which explains why I couldn't find it!

Paul K

Excellent. I still hadn't got to MOGBI!

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back