• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro lens for digiscoping. (1 Viewer)

Karim Madoya

I have in mind wanting to try macro lens such as this one - AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G for digiscoping. I want to combine it with Kowa spotting scope TSN-884. What is your advice? Thank you.

Hello from West Malaysia!

The macro lens should do just fine provided you have a strong enough adapter to mount the DSLR and the lens to the scope eyepiece. You may need an eyepiece with a large pupil objective as to avoid vignetting. However, shutterspeed will be compromised as the scope setup will be something approaching F13 or so.

Alternatively, try an adapter to mount a DSLR. body directly onto the scope. In short, this will make your scope into the 'lens' of the DSLR. Our friend Jason Reyes uses this combo to great effect :t:

All the best ;)

Hi Hor Kee!

I read somewhere in the internet that macro lens is not really recommended to use for digiscoping but then somebody say that your subject is so close ie "the image" taken is inside the scope which means that how far or near your subject from the scope, the camera still taking the image from inside the scope.
Since I am not that clear with this, ie why I am posting this for confirmation.

Thanks and happy birding

My advise is to use the Kowa PZ dslr adapter with your Nikon body. You will get better results than when using a lens-to-eyepiece method.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back