• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

micro lenses to mimic the compound eyes of insects for 'supervision'. Read more: http (1 Viewer)

CliveP

micro lenses to mimic the compound eyes of insects for 'supervision'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-one-two-thousandth-thickness-human-hair.html

They're talking about camera phone lenses but would this be a technology applicable to bins?

Would a lot of little lenses be better than one big one?

I suspect insects have compound eyes maybe because they are curved and to see in all directions?

Could compound lens bins be coming? Maybe some insects might be interested in them?8-P

I suppose I should look up some info on compound eyes and all as I would like to know what effect/benefit this might have. Maybe just for very wide fov bins or something?

I suspect insects have compound eyes maybe because they are curved and to see in all directions?

Clive

AFAIK insect eyes cannot rotate to look in a specific direction although some insects have quite mobile heads. So the solution is to have lots of eyes that are looking in different directions and combine them together. Many insects of course also have single-celled eyes too.

Lee

Hi,

the principle is used in scientific astronomy as interferometry in a lot of different wavelengths. Unfortunately it needs a lot of computing power to combine the measurements and it does not necessarily yield an image of the type we are used to.

Maybe in 50 years time... but I would not hold my breath...

Joachim

Hi all (or both)

I think the title as per usual with the DM is somewhat sensational but they did quote the science guys as saying compound eye for supervision and then when I looked up compound eyes it's seems they are not very good for definition and are optimised for movement detection but I suppose the engineers are just trying to hype their lab playing for more funding or whatever.

Basically one big lens is better than many small although I still wonder if it could be a technology for very finely tuning lenses (sorry I see you already mentioned this jring) and then the prices would really go stratospheric.

Super spring day here so I'm off out to have fun with my ultra cheap Carson Scout 8x22. A good little bino (I did a bit more focus wheel shortening on this one as well but not nearly as much as the 7x18). It's the perfect bright day for it, at last.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back