• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro Moth ID (1 Viewer)

Brian Dunning

I was wondering if anyone could identify this micro moth. Photographed last evening in Cheshire, NW England.
Many thanks for looking.8733_adj_PS.jpg

Attachments

• 8740_Adj_PS.jpg
    8740_Adj_PS.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 9
Why isn't it dichrorampha petiverella?
It could quite easily be dichrorampha petiverella, they're both very similar. However, the photo I took shows a bluish fringe to the base of the wing (2nd photo). I've noticed this on other images of pammene aurita but not dichrorampha petiverella (just doing a bit of googling). So, anyone else any ideas?

It could quite easily be dichrorampha petiverella, they're both very similar. However, the photo I took shows a bluish fringe to the base of the wing (2nd photo). I've noticed this on other images of pammene aurita but not dichrorampha petiverella (just doing a bit of googling). So, anyone else any ideas?
Note the black spots near the outer edge which are not a feature of P. aurita

Not really similar, note the palps, quite different in Pammene and Dichrorampha. This is one of the D. petiverella/alpinana/flavodorsata complex best identified by gen. prep. Of these three the fact that it is on Tansey would point to petiverella or flavodorsata, but dorsal patch looks much brighter yellow than average petiverella so the much less common flavodorsata is perhaps most likely. However not sure if Dichrorampha vancouverana can be definitively excluded?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back