• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Microscope advice (1 Viewer)

regor

I am planning to buy a stereomicroscope to aid my identification of insects - mainly beetles and possibly I might have a go at gen detting moths. Could anyone on here please advise on the magnification I would need and possibly recommend a make or model that I should consider. My budget is in the order of £200. I like the look of the EduBlue microscopes but looks can be deceptive!
Thanks,
Roger

tperry

I bought a microscope from Anglian Lepidopterists Supplies for dabbling with moth dissections. I chose 20x and 40x magnifications. It is pretty basic but does the job okay and is around £200.00 AJ06a is the model I think.

More recently I have bought a compound microscope from Brunel for photography - I dealt with one of their directors Helen Murray I found them very helpful indeed; this was last year so I was able to visit but they do a very efficient online service too. Hope the link works:-

http://www.brunelmicroscopes.co.uk/

Users who are viewing this thread