• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrating Dotterels?, W Yorks moor, 29/09 (1 Viewer)

davpen

Last Saturday I was setting up at one of my vis mig watchpoints when two waders flew W, low over my head. My instant first thought was Dotterel, based on jizz (smallish plover) and the purring element to the call. I only managed to get my camera on them as they were heading away, but luckily I'd got my sound recorder already running.

Looking at the photos and listening to the recording, I'm still thinking Dotterel, but wonder if I'm missing something. The purr call sounds good, but what's the two or three syllable whistle? I'm pretty sure it came from the same birds. Re the photos, don't set too much store by the depth and extent of red. The rising sun was making eg Mipits and a nearby rock face look reddish, and I don't think the apparent redness had any influence on my initial ID.

The photos are cropped but otherwise as they came out of the camera. As far as I remember, the first three here are of one of the birds and the last is of the other one.

I'd welcome any comments.

Cheers,

David

Attachments

• DotterelLS3IoSq29Sep18.WAV
    2.8 MB · Views: 64
  • 102A0329cropped.jpg
    102A0329cropped.jpg
    577.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 102A0330cropped.jpg
    102A0330cropped.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 102A0331cropped.jpg
    102A0331cropped.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 102A0338cropped.jpg
    102A0338cropped.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Thanks Nutcracker. In my own mind I was and still am happy with the ID but, because views were so brief and my experience of Dotterels is fairly limited, I just thought it might be a good idea to invite contradiction.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back