• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migratory bird? (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
I have never seen this bird before. It flew over my head while I was shooting whiskered tern. Those were the best shots I managed to get.

Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo. Oct 2020.

I assume it must be a migratory bird but no idea what species it is.

Thanks for any help.

DSC01023t.JPG

DSC01024t.JPG

DSC01025t.JPG

Its a Black-Winged-Stilt of wahtever race/species. I hope, others are jumping in, so I can learn about new decisions, lumbs or splits in this group.
Please note extremly long legs and the right black-white pattern. Its a very distinctive bird when the subspecies/race/species problem is ignored.

Its a Black-Winged-Stilt of wahtever race/species. I hope, others are jumping in, so I can learn about new decisions, lumbs or splits in this group.
Please note extremly long legs and the right black-white pattern. Its a very distinctive bird when the subspecies/race/species problem is ignored.

Black-winged Stilt Himantopus himantopus and Pied Stilt Himantopus leucocephalus both occur as winter visitors in Borneo (from Asia, and Australia, respectively) - not sure if it's possible to tell which of the two yours is from these pics!

The narrow white trailing edge on the wing makes it an immature.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Alexander Stöhr and Nutcracker. That is very helpful.

I will search up their habitat and see if possible to find location where they rest/stay. My town have very limited access to such locations.

Thank you again guys.

Look in recently planted rice paddies (or awaiting planting), and other places with extensive mud and shallow water :t:

Oh, YES! Many rice paddies are planting now. Many Egrets also. I definitely will look them up for sure. Thanks Nutcracker.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back