• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minnesota Valley NWR -- warbler ID (1 Viewer)

jstanleyg

I was out this morning for global big day at the Bass Ponds area of Minnesota Valley NWR, and have a couple ID questions.

I didn't get a good shot of this one, but the little detail that I do have rules out a lot of possibilities: white-ish throat, fairly prominant eye ring, light yellow-ish sides (looks like it extends around the chest, too). There were a lot of Yellow-rumped Warblers in the area, but I'd expect to see the dark markings near the yellow. I've never seen a Bay-breasted Warbler, could it possibly be a first year female who hasn't transitioned to adult plumage yet? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 51
After you take a look at those terrible shots, take a look at some others! I had just seen two Lesser Yellowlegs nearby and noticed what looks like another on the other side of the river (photo 1). You can also see one or two other 'some sort of' birds behind the blurry sandpiper (photo 2). I had been hoping to see the Willet that had been reported, but I'm thinking these are either definitely not that, or the photos are just too terrible to make any sort of decisions. Regardless, tell me what you think. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 36
After you take a look at those terrible shots, take a look at some others! I had just seen two Lesser Yellowlegs nearby and noticed what looks like another on the other side of the river (photo 1). You can also see one or two other 'some sort of' birds behind the blurry sandpiper (photo 2). I had been hoping to see the Willet that had been reported, but I'm thinking these are either definitely not that, or the photos are just too terrible to make any sort of decisions. Regardless, tell me what you think. :)

Well one of those two is a wilson's phalarope. The other is difficult but I'm not convinced it's a willet. I think the size (slightly larger than the lesser yellow-legs) and colouration perhaps makes greater yellow-legs.

Tennessee warbler

Perhaps, but I worry about the vent (should be brighter white than breast according to Sibley) and white throat in 2). An adult would show this, but that's at odds with the vent which should be bright white on adult. Vireo?

A tricky one this, even though the tail appears perhaps shorter on this “undershot”, am wondering if Yellow-rumped Warbler might be a candidate as cosmetics might fit, I believe the wing bars might be too bold and contrasty for Tennessee Warbler?

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back