• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BL 8x44 HD vs Nikon Monarch 7 8x42? (1 Viewer)

mtar925

Has anyone compared these two? On the price list and spec sheet, they play on the same field.

I have been using Nikon Premier 8x42 as my primary bino. They work well and give a nice view, and offer comfortable eye relief for my eyeglasses. But they weigh a ton (35 oz), and the field of view is only 7 degrees. Not quite tunnel vision, but I enjoy a field closer to 8 degrees. The Minox and Nikon address both weight and FOV concerns, but how much would I be giving up in optical performance and durability?

I handled the Monarch 7 briefly in a shop several months ago and should do so again - I remember the optics looked nice but eye relief was barely adequate (for me) and they had a rubbery feel that I didn't really care for. I have no idea where to handle the Minox locally. The Kowa BD-XD is another contender in this price range but gets mixed reviews for optics and focusing, and again I don't know of local dealers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back