• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Mirrorless camera help? (1 Viewer)

Nooch2222

United States
Looking for a compact mirrorless camera for digiscoping. My setup is.

Swarovski 85mm STX with
Swarovski TLS-APO Adapter
I have a Canon and Nikon T2 adapter so would like to stay with one of those brands. Would like to stay under $600 if possible Thank you!

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
Looking for a compact mirrorless camera for digiscoping. My setup is.

Swarovski 85mm STX with
Swarovski TLS-APO Adapter
I have a Canon and Nikon T2 adapter so would like to stay with one of those brands. Would like to stay under $600 if possible Thank you!

The cheapest Nikon Mirrorless is substantially over your budget (£699 sterling) - don't forget they use the Z mount not the traditional F mount if that's what your T2 mount is.

I don't know much about Canon's offerings or mounts.

Costs of mounts are inexpensive compared to cameras - it might be worth looking at Olympus/Panasonic M43 bodies too

Nooch2222

United States
The cheapest Nikon Mirrorless is substantially over your budget (£699 sterling) - don't forget they use the Z mount not the traditional F mount if that's what your T2 mount is.

I don't know much about Canon's offerings or mounts.

Costs of mounts are inexpensive compared to cameras - it might be worth looking at Olympus/Panasonic M43 bodies too
Ok thank you ill take a look at those. I've never used a camera just phones to digiscoping. Thank you

Peregrine Took

United Kingdom
I used my Fuji X-T1 professionally for several years (for architectural and commercial photography), but I've not digi-scoped with it. It's old and only 16mpx, but now I'm retired every time I think about updating it I can find no good reason. You can get hold of a good one for $300. I imagine you can get a good used X-T2 (24mpx) for under your budget. They are a joy to use, ergonomically, and have a larger sensor than some of the recommendations you've had so far.

I swapped my top of the range Nikon DSLR for the Fuji and before that I used Canon... in general, IMHO, Fuji and Sony lead the mirrorless pack, with Panasonic and Olympus close behind (look out for those small sensors though). No need to feel bad about not being able to afford Nikon and Canon (traditionally the two most-used professional SLR/DSLR camera brands), since with mirrorless they're now playing catch-up, while charging customers a premium for the privilege.

Just my opinions of course. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread