• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Miserable Birders??? (1 Viewer)

I think that that first experience has stuck with me and possibly amplified the recent experiences.I am also mindful that I have a young child(3) and she does come out with me and has been in hides.I think it's only a matter of time before some old codger moans because she possibly talks a bit loudly,although in the few times she has been in hides at Rainham,minsmere,titchwell to name a few places,she has generally been very well behaved.

Finally, if you are ever in a group or activity where all the people are extremely nice to you and want to be friendly, leave immediately....you´ve stumbled on a Scientology Meeting.

Very funny Sancho! :-O

I perceive this as a mostly UK problem. I've read of the dog issues, the lack of public lands, and the demand for hides. In a relatively small country with a lot of birders and naturalists, tensions might be running a bit high. Not an excuse mind you, but it helps explain why I don't see this sort of thing over here in SoCal.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't let someone else's bad attitude bother me and I might come up with some stock replies.

Very funny Sancho! :-O

I perceive this as a mostly UK problem. I've read of the dog issues, the lack of public lands, and the demand for hides. In a relatively small country with a lot of birders and naturalists, tensions might be running a bit high. Not an excuse mind you, but it helps explain why I don't see this sort of thing over here in SoCal.

One thing's for sure, I wouldn't let someone else's bad attitude bother me and I might come up with some stock replies.
Kevin, may I just say that you have the coolest avatar on BF!:t:B :)

I tend to agree with your comments about this being a largely UK issue, having birded there myself for some 20 odd years. There's about 30 or so birders resident here in Cairns (maybe a few I haven't met) and a nicer bunch I could not wish for. Whenever I have met a nasty/miserable birder here it has always been a British birder.

I might hasten to add that I have met a lot of British birders (and birders from all over the world) here in Cairns who have been great; the mean ones are a small minority. I've also met up here with quite a few BF members and similarly all have been great.

The nastiest birder I have ever met was this November just gone when a British birder joined our little tour group in Thailand. I hope the petulant bad-tempered little git reads this because I want him to know I hold him personally responsible for ruining my holiday with his infantile tantrums when he didn't see a bird and for his meanness towards the others in the group at the most unexpected times.

We all get upset when we don't see a bird we really want to see. If however we take it out on others then that's when our hobby is problematic. No hobby should do that.

The nastiest birder I have ever met was this November just gone when a British birder joined our little tour group in Thailand. I hope the petulant bad-tempered little git reads this because I want him to know I hold him personally responsible for ruining my holiday with his infantile tantrums when he didn't see a bird and for his meanness towards the others in the group at the most unexpected times.

Chowch,
It's extraordinary that more than a few people seem to have the belief that they can adjust reality by constant assertion, which is why they are so irrational when reality ups and bites them on the butt. I know you have insight into skewed views of reality from your work, but meeting it on your Thai trip...:-C

Even better birding in future, Chowch!:t:
MJB

Chowch,
It's extraordinary that more than a few people seem to have the belief that they can adjust reality by constant assertion, which is why they are so irrational when reality ups and bites them on the butt. I know you have insight into skewed views of reality from your work, but meeting it on your Thai trip...:-C

Even better birding in future, Chowch!:t:
MJB
Cheers Mike.:t:

Actually he was in a good mood the whole day when we went to the area of the Pied Harrier roost (can't remember what the place was called...); it had been wet during the day and the harriers had converged unusually early and were wheeling about in their dozens along with quite a few Eastern Marsh Harriers and a pretty good assemblage of other species. There is no doubt it was a good day because, and only because we saw all our target species that day. Amazing what that can do to someone's temperament...

Maybe the lesson of this post is "Share your binos, you old buzzards".
When I was a kid, some nice teenager showed me his unicycle. That lead to my last hobby, which lasted ten years.
One time when I was out with a group of Alpha Birders, I got kinda lonesome, then noticed a pudgy quiet little fellow. I paired up with him. He turned out to be smart and fantastic company who knew how to shaddup and bird. Next time I am out with this group, I will hope he shows up. If he doesn't I will just gloat about spotting more keepers than most of the Alphas.

Ou

We're mostly a friendly bunch but I had two last year that stick in my mind, one at Stodmarsh and t'other at Dungeness.

Me "hiya".... they.... just glare back at me as if I'd just been caught burgling their garden shed!

Miserable ******* GITS! :-@

It's very rare to ever come into contact with other birders when I'm out, but in the past few weeks I've been going to a popular preserved area which is a wonderful place. At this place I've finally seen other birders and this was really my first time being around other hobbyists out in the field. A couple of weeks ago I received a similar cold response from two men at the duck pond. But at an overlook on a different day I got to talking to an older retired man and had a very nice conversation. I don't quite fully understand the competitive nature of some people. I'm alone almost always when I go bird watching, so I never really have to deal with what people are describing in this thread. I must say that it was really nice chatting with that nice fellow birder the other day. I hope to meet more nice people from time to time.

Last edited:
Joke 'em if they can't take a f**k

anyone that needs to look down on the likes of this old sixties wastrel, to bolster their flagging self worth, is so pathetic, they are worthy of pity, rather than ire

c'mon over here

the coffee's good and there is plenty of elbow room

3:)

anyone that needs to look down on the likes of this old sixties wastrel, to bolster their flagging self worth, is so pathetic, they are worthy of pity, rather than ire

c'mon over here

the coffee's good and there is plenty of elbow room

3:)

Spot on Dan. If anyone wants to look down on me then they haven't got much of a life so I don't refuse them their one bit of pleasure. BTW I would love to go back to Seattle if I could get a cup of coffee. Just a cup of coffee. You know. Coffee, in a cup, with a bit of sugar. Nothing else. ;)

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back