• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mixed Bird Seed (1 Viewer)

Biscuitman

United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a 12.75Kg bag of mixed bird seed from Amazon and I'm not sure which brand to go for, as the reviews on all of them are (like the seeds) mixed.
Anybody got any suggested tried and tested brands?

Sunflower seeds are the answer bit more expensive but the birds will see it off.
Certainly all varieties of birds seem to go for this.
Personally do not bother with any thing else, go for the 25kg bag,you will need deep pockets.

I get mixed seed from Garden Wildlife Direct, and buy two 12.75kg sacks at a time. Free delivery and prompt service.

Sunflower seeds have the shells/husks on. Sunflower hearts are pure food with no waste.

Hi Jack

I generally use our local store, but when they were shut during the first lock down I had really good service from both CJ Wildlife and also Ivel Valley.

Delivery was really quick from both of them.

Ive used Garden Wildlife Direct as well and found them to be good value and quick to send items. I've purchased mixed "no mess" seed recently which goes down well in ground trays and hanging feeders. I also use sunflower hearts in seperate hanging feeders.

I can’t recommend a particular supplier as I buy my seed in bulk from one of the local garden centres.

What I do recommend however is that you purchase sunflower hearts. They may be a little more expensive but in my experience there is far less wastage of seed (and husks in the case of whole sunflower seeds) and you probably end up spending no more in real terms than if you had bought mixed seed, a proportion of which will be rejected by the birds.

I can’t recommend a particular supplier as I buy my seed in bulk from one of the local garden centres.

What I do recommend however is that you purchase sunflower hearts. They may be a little more expensive but in my experience there is far less wastage of seed (and husks in the case of whole sunflower seeds) and you probably end up spending no more in real terms than if you had bought mixed seed, a proportion of which will be rejected by the birds.
Spot on!
Sunflower seed shells are actually toxic to most plants, so the area below the feeders soon becomes a moonscape.
Much more garden friendly to just use sunflower hearts.
The downside is that doves will just monopolize the feeders, especially if a seed catching tray is installed. The fix, at least on the tubular feeders, is to remove the perches. The doves can't use the bare holes very well, which leaves the slots free for finches and other small seed eaters.

I bought some Sunflower Hearts and the birds don't seem as interested as they do with all the other food (Mixed seed, Suet pellets, Mealworms Fat Balls, black sunflowers seeds). They also seem to have 'gone off' the Peanuts and the Niger Seed.
Am I giving them too much choice? Actually saw a Siskin yesterday but ignored the Niger. Fussy little devils.

I don't think you are giving them too much choice, but now spring is here, they are able to find a lot more food so may not be so interested in feeders.

Ive used Garden Wildlife Direct as well and found them to be good value and quick to send items. I've purchased mixed "no mess" seed recently which goes down well in ground trays and hanging feeders. I also use sunflower hearts in seperate hanging feeders.
I took you and Kits advice and went with Garden Wildlife direct. Looks like a good seed mix to me and the birds love it. Thanks.

I took you and Kits advice and went with Garden Wildlife direct. Looks like a good seed mix to me and the birds love it. Thanks.
I hope the birds enjoy this, they do here! I do find that some weeks the sunflower hearts are devoured first, other weeks the mixed seed. Goldfinches and Greenfinches like the sunflower hearts, starlings and sparrows tend to go for the mixed seed. Blackcaps, robins, dunnocks blackbirds thrushes and pigeons go fow whatever is on the ground! Had a rook and jackdaw on fat feeders today, which is unusual.

Glad to be of help, Biscuitman.

Pat - we get loads of rooks in our garden, easily 30+ at a time. They gather on the back lawn, or under the feeders in the front garden hoovering up fallen food.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back