mixed waders, Portugal (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
on the Troia pensinsula south of Setubal i saw, mixed amongst the little plovers, some other waders that i'm not sure i can positively identify

i think that the ones marked with a green arrow may be common sandpipers, whereas the ones marked with a red arrow may either be a little stint or a sanderling

pictures taken in the first half of september

can anyone help me out ?

Attachments

• Img_3594.jpg
    Img_3594.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Img_3599.jpg
    Img_3599.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Img_3604.jpg
    Img_3604.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Img_3610.jpg
    Img_3610.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 70

Valéry Schollaert

Respect animals, don't eat or wear their body or s
Sanderling

Edit : I didn't open the thumbnails and replied for red arrows, the only ones I saw.

Last edited:

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
The ones marked with a green arrow are Dunlin, not Common Sandpipers. Good gathering of Ringed Plovers in your last shot, I cannot see a Little Ringed amongst them though.

Last edited:

marnixR

WYSIWYG
The ones marked with a green arrow are Dunlin, not Common Sandpipers. Good gathering of Ringed Plovers in your last shot, I cannot see a Little Ringed amongst them though.

i didn't mention little ringed but little stint

however, i accept the ID of sanderling and dunlin, even though i thought dunlin were more obviously larger than ringed plovers

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
i didn't mention little ringed but little stint

however, i accept the ID of sanderling and dunlin, even though i thought dunlin were more obviously larger than ringed plovers

Just going by your term " little plovers" in your first sentence. Perhaps you meant small plovers. No criticism intended, just trying to help with your id. request, that's all.

P

marnixR

WYSIWYG
Just going by your term " little plovers" in your first sentence. Perhaps you meant small plovers. No criticism intended, just trying to help with your id. request, that's all.

P

oops ! sorry, i meant ringed plovers, not little ringed plovers - my bad

stevethehydra

Agreed with green = Dunlin and red = Sanderling.

Dunlins are marginally smaller than Sanderlings and both are smaller than Common Sandpipers (at least in length/height, I don't know about weight as Tringa/Actitis are more lightly built than Calidris).

marnixR

WYSIWYG
thanks for the comments + assistance
one of these days i’ll manage sorting waders out without outside help 8-P

Users who are viewing this thread