• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mixed waders, Portugal (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
on the Troia pensinsula south of Setubal i saw, mixed amongst the little plovers, some other waders that i'm not sure i can positively identify

i think that the ones marked with a green arrow may be common sandpipers, whereas the ones marked with a red arrow may either be a little stint or a sanderling

pictures taken in the first half of september

can anyone help me out ?

Attachments

• Img_3594.jpg
    Img_3594.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Img_3599.jpg
    Img_3599.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Img_3604.jpg
    Img_3604.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Img_3610.jpg
    Img_3610.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 71
Sanderling

Edit : I didn't open the thumbnails and replied for red arrows, the only ones I saw.

Last edited:
The ones marked with a green arrow are Dunlin, not Common Sandpipers. Good gathering of Ringed Plovers in your last shot, I cannot see a Little Ringed amongst them though.

Last edited:
The ones marked with a green arrow are Dunlin, not Common Sandpipers. Good gathering of Ringed Plovers in your last shot, I cannot see a Little Ringed amongst them though.

i didn't mention little ringed but little stint

however, i accept the ID of sanderling and dunlin, even though i thought dunlin were more obviously larger than ringed plovers

i didn't mention little ringed but little stint

however, i accept the ID of sanderling and dunlin, even though i thought dunlin were more obviously larger than ringed plovers

Just going by your term " little plovers" in your first sentence. Perhaps you meant small plovers. No criticism intended, just trying to help with your id. request, that's all.

P

Just going by your term " little plovers" in your first sentence. Perhaps you meant small plovers. No criticism intended, just trying to help with your id. request, that's all.

P

oops ! sorry, i meant ringed plovers, not little ringed plovers - my bad

Agreed with green = Dunlin and red = Sanderling.

Dunlins are marginally smaller than Sanderlings and both are smaller than Common Sandpipers (at least in length/height, I don't know about weight as Tringa/Actitis are more lightly built than Calidris).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back