• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mojarra area (1 Viewer)

Tomwbhx

I need to retire! ....oh I have!
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We have the opportunity of a week in an apartment in Mojacar in April and would appreciate any advice on birding sites within a couple of hours drive.

Look forward to any responses

Cheers
Tom

Barred Wobbler

You're well placed for the Cabo de Gata national park to the south (the best place I've seen for black wheatears is near the lighthouse) and its steppe species and for the Desierto de Tabernas to the west. Black-bellied sandgrouse, stone curlew, rufous bushchat are there to be had and the salinas near Cabo de Gata are good for waterbirds including flamigos. April may be a bit eaarly for the rufous bushchat - they seem to turn up after the first week in May.

Rambla de Morales between Retamar and Cabo de Gata is good for lesser short-toed lark, ducks, terns, slender-billed and Audouin's gulls.

Near to Mojacar the bridge at Rio des Aguas, just outside Turre is a good site for roller (as are many of the roadside power-lines almost anywhere near Garrucha).

Further north the Sierra de Maria is worth a look. It holds griffon vulture in what is probably one of the worst parts of Spain for vulture-spotting, also golden eagle.

It's a cracking area of Spain - I love it (apart from the hundreds of square miles of plastico green houses where they grow the fruit).

Last edited:

Tomwbhx

United Kingdom
Thanks

You're well placed for the Cabo de Gata national park to the south (the best place I've seen for black wheatears is near the lighthouse) and its steppe species and for the Desierto de Tabernas to the west. Black-bellied sandgrouse, stone curlew, rufous bushchat are there to be had and the salinas near Cabo de Gata are good for waterbirds including flamigos. April may be a bit eaarly for the rufous bushchat - they seem to turn up after the first week in May.

Rambla de Morales between Retamar and Cabo de Gata is good for lesser short-toed lark, ducks, terns, slender-billed and Audouin's gulls.

Near to Mojacar the bridge at Rio des Aguas, just outside Turre is a good site for roller (as are many of the roadside power-lines almost anywhere near Garrucha).

Further north the Sierra de Maria is worth a look. It holds griffon vulture in what is probably one of the worst parts of Spain for vulture-spotting, also golden eagle.

It's a cracking area of Spain - I love it (apart from the hundreds of square miles of plastico green houses where they grow the fruit).

Thanks for the info. Sounds great, bring on April
Cheers
Tom

Barred Wobbler

Look out for great spotted cuckoos also.

I saw my first eagle owl at Garrucha, purely by chance.

We'd been out for a meal at the Mexican restaurant at the north end of town on the last night of our holiday and there was a particularly nice sunset when we came out. It was only a minute's walk across the road to a spot where we were looking out west across a field, then the main road and off to the sierra in the distance.

While we were admiring the colours a bird came flying close past us from the left, before drifting off across the main road and landing in a field on the other side of it.

My wife saw it at that same time as I did and said 'What's that? It looks like an owl?'

'It certainly does', I replied, 'but it's the size of a bloody heron!'

Perfect end to the trip.

Tomwbhx

United Kingdom
Look out for great spotted cuckoos also.

I saw my first eagle owl at Garrucha, purely by chance.

We'd been out for a meal at the Mexican restaurant at the north end of town on the last night of our holiday and there was a particularly nice sunset when we came out. It was only a minute's walk across the road to a spot where we were looking out west across a field, then the main road and off to the sierra in the distance.

While we were admiring the colours a bird came flying close past us from the left, before drifting off across the main road and landing in a field on the other side of it.

My wife saw it at that same time as I did and said 'What's that? It looks like an owl?'

'It certainly does', I replied, 'but it's the size of a bloody heron!'

Perfect end to the trip.

The unexpected is always the best.
Thanks again for your help
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread