• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mole – North East UK (1 Viewer)

MalR

This was only the second live mole I have seen and the first one I've had the chance to photograph. The general area was heather moorland, but the mole was on a stretch of roadside grass closely cropped by sheep. It was above ground for several minutes before digging itself back in. Great to see.

Malcolm

Attachments

• Mole1.jpg
    Mole1.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 52
This was only the second live mole I have seen and the first one I've had the chance to photograph. The general area was heather moorland, but the mole was on a stretch of roadside grass closely cropped by sheep. It was above ground for several minutes before digging itself back in. Great to see.

Malcolm

What a lovely photo Malcolm. I love moles and think I've only seen one in my whole life!! And that's a very, very long time. I seem to remember my cat brought it to show me! But I live in hopes of seeing another.

Great pic :) I have only seen a live one once and then only the head and front feet out of the top of a hill!

I've only ever seen one as well, it was a Himalayan Mole in Vietnam that we spotted at the roadside but quickly dug back dowm. It's amazing how fast they can be gone!

I've only ever seen one as well, it was a Himalayan Mole in Vietnam that we spotted at the roadside but quickly dug back dowm. It's amazing how fast they can be gone!

I was amazed how fast this one moved on the surface and, as you, say, how quickly it disappeared.

Malcolm

I had one in the Pennines that couldn't get underground as it was crossing a road bridge (dispersing juvenile?)

I was on my way to Helvellyn from Tynemouth (after ticking Swinhoe's Petrel) and quickly parked, ran back and took a terrible photo. Non-digital in those days of course. Great sighting though and envious of yours!

John

That must have been a good sighting, John, if it couldn't get away, as it were. Your comment about taking a terrible photo made me laugh. I dabbled in bird/wildlife photography in the days of film (with a Pentax P30n) and I don't think I took anything other than terrible photos. I soon gave up until digital came along and rekindled my interest.

Malcolm

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back