• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 7 8x42vs... (1 Viewer)

From a shooting supply magazine I have on hand, they list it as "Monarch Madness". It applies to the 3 and 5 as well (but only for $50 less on those models). Listed dates are 9/16/13 - 11/17/13.

CG

The big internet stores in NYC do not have the reduced prices posted at this time.

Nikon Promo site has the dates listed as 9-11-13 to 11-17-13 and the discount must be made at the dealer's checkout.

Regards,
FK

I have a quick q here. Does anyone experienced blackouts with the Monarch 7 ? I see it has 17mm eye relief and in general most binos I tried below 18mm eye relief I get blackouts. Any opinion appreciated.

and was wondering how the Monarch 7 compared to some similarly price models such us:

Vortex Viper HD 8x32/8x42

I just went through this. Ordered the Viper 8x32. Really liked them but saw Monarch 7s on sale . Reviews really liked them.
Sent the Vipers back, ordered the Nikons.
Disappointing. I will qualify that by saying my pair may have slipped through the QC cracks. But..
Not nearly as sharp and the CA was very noticeable. Sent them back and reordered the Vipers.
IMO
Viper 8x32 HD hands down. I have some Nikon SE 32s and the Vipers are very close.

I just looked at the 8x42's and 10x42's again today and I must say, they were very decent. I particularly appreciated the ergos and how well they fit me. I may buy a pair at this sale price even though I have absolutely no need for them. Well, what does *need* have to do with anything? ;)

Because that's what this forum is all about. I sometimes wonder when anybody actually uses their bins in the field other than for testing to post about here. ;)

I succumbed to the M7 10x42 which were another $10 off the sale price (so $390). Used them on my canyon walk yesterday and a little astronomy last night. Very pleased. I really didn't need another pair of 8's and am not all that big a fan of 10's but these just work. Some stray reflections are my biggest complaint but the fully extended eyecups work very well for me and with them fully retracted I can see the full field stop with my sunglasses on. Sweet spot seems a non-issue with these; it's big enough to not be something I noticed.

I have read enough comments here and in other threads to get the idea that in general 8x42 is preferred over 10x in most cases. I have purchased both the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 and 8x42 bins at a good price due to a going out of business sale. I do not want to use both in the field since I can't return them and I want to be able to sell the one I do not keep as new. Considering the below specs I only see that the 8x has a brightness advantage of 28.1 over the 17.6 of the 10x which I can slightly discern testing them inside. Otherwise, they seem fairly similar besides the magnification difference. If you had both which would you keep as a set to accompany a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 scope? I also grabbed a pair of Vanguard Endeavor 8x42, Leupold Mojave BX-3 8x42 and Leupold Hawthorne 10x42 at the same sale but from what I have read the Nikons are the better option? Any opinions are appreciated.

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/monarch/monarch_7/spec.htm

Last edited:
I have read enough comments here and in other threads to get the idea that in general 8x42 is preferred over 10x in most cases. I have purchased both the Nikon Monarch 7 10x42 and 8x42 bins at a good price due to a going out of business sale. I do not want to use both in the field since I can't return them and I want to be able to sell the one I do not keep as new. Considering the below specs I only see that the 8x has a brightness advantage of 28.1 over the 17.6 of the 10x which I can slightly discern testing them inside. Otherwise, they seem fairly similar besides the magnification difference. If you had both which would you keep as a set to accompany a Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 scope? I also grabbed a pair of Vanguard Endeavor 8x42, Leupold Mojave BX-3 8x42 and Leupold Hawthorne 10x42 at the same sale but from what I have read the Nikons are the better option? Any opinions are appreciated.

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/binoculars/monarch/monarch_7/spec.htm

For birding 8X is often preferred over 10X because of an easier closer view
on birds in easy range. But for long distance use, many find the 10X useful
over water areas when things may be much farther away.

For general use you may find the 10X useful watching ships and such on
the ocean, as I see you live where that may be important.

Binoculars are best tried out personally so you can try and see for yourself
which one(s) you like best. Since you are not able to return, it does take
time to find out all of the features and benefits. So, use them and find out.

Jerry

Go with Jerry's suggestion. Use them and compare them and see what works for you. I've only tried the Nikons and Vanguards. They both have positive and negative points which will differ in importance between individual users. Take your time, try them at different times of day and weather conditions using a variety of targets to assess their optical performance and sort out the ergonomics that work for you. You have a rare opportunity to make a carefully considered decision. Please let us know how you get on.

David

I have read the Nikons are the better option? Any opinions are appreciated.

David is right, you have a great opportunity. It really suits me to buy the products that I am interested in and try them out in general use before deciding which are to stay and which to go, so I do approve of grabbing five sets of binoculars in a sale, nice.

I have Nikon Monarch in both 10x and 8x, both have their uses although I am finding the 10x a little hold sensitive for me now. The Vanguard Spirit ED seems to me to be a direct clone of the Nikon Monarch 5, I own both. For me there is little between them, more depth of field for the Nikons certainly but mostly minor differences so I would be interested in your opinion of the Nikon Monarch 7 compared to the Vanguard Endeavor ED, especially considering that Amazon.com had the latter at $149.00 on a one-day sale recently.

I just looked at the 8x42's and 10x42's again today and I must say, they were very decent. I particularly appreciated the ergos and how well they fit me. I may buy a pair at this sale price even though I have absolutely no need for them. Well, what does *need* have to do with anything? ;)

I'm in the same boat but haven't ordered one yet. I do like the feel of the bino and the optics are decent enough. I really have no need for another bin but the sale priced monarch 7 keeps calling me back to it.

CG

Well, I'm a little embarrassed to report that I ended up returning them. What I wrote earlier holds true but in the 10x size, I found I liked my Canon 10x30's better for both day and nighttime use. The Monarch 7's are pretty darn good but they didn't really fill a need for me after all.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back