• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 82ED, a Perfect Ten (2 Viewers)

Thanks for the link. I'm hoping I won't have a problem with back focus. I think the Mark IV Baader zoom should should reach focus even 17-18mm from the back of the scope. My problem now is that I can't find one. Every dealer is out and backordered for maybe 2-3 months. My Mark II may be adaptable with the same two rings that Joachim suggested, so I guess the first step is to order those.

Henry..the Mark IV reaches focus at the exact same distance that the MkIII would..not sure if the MkII and Mk III differ in any manner in their design,but the only difference between the mk IV and the previous version is hardware.Since this hardware has been designed to minimize the phisical distance between scope and eyepiece,the new version usually fits well in the scope's focal distance.
17-18mm seem quite too long a jump to reach infinity i think..at least on my kowa..The mounting threads on the kowa are probably 7mm and the MK IV sits flush right on top leaving a few diopters,but my adapted MkIII sits a bit higher getting quite close to the focus limit..and its less than 18mm..
I do have several baader adapters for the Mk Iv that i will be happy to give you so you can experiment,but shipping overseas might be as expensive as purchasing the right one in the USA

I do have the zero Lengh adapter 2454833 if u need it..I dont think would cost more than a few dollars to ship,so since it costs 29 dollars in the USA, it would be worth it. Baader donated these adapters to test the zoom,so there you go..

Thanks for the additional information, guys, and for your kind offer of the Baader adapter, mayoayo.

As it happens I phoned Baader's US distributor earlier today to see how long I would be waiting for the eyepiece. Turns out they just got a new shipment of the eyepieces and had the adapter rings in stock. I should be receiving them sometime next week. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Henry

Bought one and all i can say is that i prefer i over my meopta 82 hd, much prefer the colors of the nikon over meopta using the same eyepiece on booth scopes(Baader morpheus) . Its also easy to adapt astro eyepieces to is thanks to the bayonet mount that is the same as nikon dslr cameras. Is using it up to 105x with very good result.
It would be most interesting for many birders if you could do a comparative test within the Meopta and the Monarch, including their zooms and astro eps use, please with some photos...;)

If I am understanding the discussion, I could purchase the body only and a Baader Hyperion Mark IV Zoom would fit using an a currently available adapter?

If I am understanding the discussion, I could purchase the body only and a Baader Hyperion Mark IV Zoom would fit using an a currently available adapter?
I'd second that question, which part numbers are required? Plus can anyone tell if this will this fit Baader non zooms as well?

I believe the answer is yes for the Baader Hyperion zoom Mark IV, using the two Baader adapters from Joachim's post #117 and a Nikon F T-adapter. I don't know about the non zoom Baader eyepieces.

I haven't been able to put it all together with the Mark IV yet because one of the adapter rings I received was the wrong one and I'm still waiting for the correct one. Still, I can see that there should be plenty of in focus available using my old Nikon T-adapter which is 8.5mm wide.

I also ordered the Baader Ultrashort 1.25" / T-2 eyepiece clamp (post # 124), which I hope will allow at least some 1.25" eyepieces to be used on the Nikon scope, especially if combined with the short T-adapter from post # 120.

Henry

Hi,

I also don't know whether the different fixed Baader EP series will come to focus. I just wanted to mention that the Baader Hyperion fixed series (unlike the Hyperion zoom) are not known for good performance in fast instruments (like the vast majority of spotting scopes). The Morpheus series might work ok if they come to focus...

Joachim

Baader morpheus works fine in the scope, at least 12,5, 14 and 17,5 mm works. Also apm hdc 13 and 5 mm works without any focusing problems.
Bought it body only, it is a steal for the price i paid, 1400 Euro. Would say its the best scope optically in the 80-82mm range ive tried so far.

Last edited:
Given the limited selection (3?) of MEP eyepieces, has anyone tried Nikon's NAV-SW "astro" EPs? (1.25", 72° AFoV, in 5 to 17mm.) I say '"astro"' because they seem more spotting-oriented, with some AMD instead of strong pincushion.

Well, I inquired on the Baader website and was brought back to our thread here. (Hello Baader people if you're reading this!):

Your Question: Hello! I am interested in using the Baader Mark IV zoom with a Nikon Monarch 82ED spotting scope. Do you know if this eyepiece will work and if so, the appropriate adapter? Thank you in advance, Mark

Answer: Unfortunately, we do not have a Nikon-adapter. There is a thread at birdforum.net, which looks promising: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/monarch-82ed-a-perfect-ten.377440/

Well, I inquired on the Baader website and was brought back to our thread here. (Hello Baader people if you're reading this!):

Your Question: Hello! I am interested in using the Baader Mark IV zoom with a Nikon Monarch 82ED spotting scope. Do you know if this eyepiece will work and if so, the appropriate adapter? Thank you in advance, Mark

Answer: Unfortunately, we do not have a Nikon-adapter. There is a thread at birdforum.net, which looks promising: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/monarch-82ed-a-perfect-ten.377440/
Hi,

well, they googled and found relevant info ;-) You can't really expect them to know your forum nickname...

Joachim

Given the limited selection (3?) of MEP eyepieces, has anyone tried Nikon's NAV-SW "astro" EPs? (1.25", 72° AFoV, in 5 to 17mm.) I say '"astro"' because they seem more spotting-oriented, with some AMD instead of strong pincushion.
The SW are based and have the same optical design of the spotting scope eps. The HW series is another story since were designed for astro use and have more pincushion - I have the 12.5mm version.

Here is an Alpine Astronomical eyepiece clamp with a 12mm optical length:

Amazon has the Baader Inverter:

Mark

Last edited:
I have every adapter part mentioned in this thread either in my possession or scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I don't think the Baader Mark IV zoom will be a problem when mounted directly on the Monarch scope, but I don't expect it and some 1.25" eyepieces to reach focus with the Baader (Alpine) Ultrashort eyepiece clamp even when combined with the Telescope-Service short Nikon T-adapter. I'll report my experiences with various eyepieces tomorrow.

Henry

Yesterday I finally received the last of the parts needed to adapt the Baader Hyperion Mark IV zoom eyepiece to my wife's Nikon Monarch 82ED spotting scope. I also received a Baader Ultrashort T-2 / 1.25" eyepiece clamp, a Telescope-Service short Nikon T-adapter and by chance I discovered I already had a Takahashi 2" / T-2 eyepiece holder. So, here are the results of trying to adapt a number of eyepieces to the Nikon scope.

First, the Baader Mark IV zoom is no problem at all to adapt directly to the scope by using two Baader adapter rings: part # 2454833, which changes the 2" female thread at the bottom of the eyepiece to female T-2, then part #1508025 which inverts the female T-2 to male T-2. The eyepiece can then be screwed directly into a Nikon F or Nikon DSLR T-adapter (same thread as T-2).

The T-adapter should be mounted on the scope before screwing the eyepiece into it. Just remember that the white marks on the T-adapter and the scope should NOT be aligned at the start. To find the correct starting position for the bayonet note that one of the three bayonet flanges is wider than the other two, That one should start pointing down toward the locking button on the scope, then rotate counter-clockwise until the bayonet clicks and locks. There should be plenty of focus past infinity with any normal depth T-adapter.

For adapting 1.25" eyepieces to the scope I tried a combination of the Baader Ultrashort eyepiece clamp, the Baader female to male T-2 inverter and the Telescope-Service short Nikon T-adapter. I don't know of a shorter generic 1.25" eyepiece clamp, but in this case it adds about 20mm to the length. Baader claims it adds only 12mm to the "focal length", but apparently that's because they don't count the tube that contains the female T-2 threads. The short T-S Nikon T-adapter adds only about 1mm to the length for a total of 21mm.

I haven't bought any astronomical eyepieces in quite a while and my collection includes only a few that are likely to be of general interest. Of those I found I could easily reach focus with a Televue 13mm Nagler Type 6 and a 19mm Panoptic. I was not able to reach focus with a Pentax XW 14mm or a Baader Hyperion 17mm. Both were tantalizingly close. Probably missing by only 1-2 mm. Televue claims that all their current eyepieces are parfocal, so it could be that any current Televue eyepiece will reach focus in the Monarch scope with the adapters I'm using.

I discovered that I already owned a Takahashi 2" eyepiece holder with female T-threads (right photo below), so I tried that with the three 2" eyepieces I have. Only a 48mm Brandon could reach focus. Neither a 22mm Panoptic nor the 17mm Hyperion (using the 2" barrel) could, but the Hyperion was closer than when paired with the 1.25" eyepiece clamp, less than one diffraction ring from reaching focus on a star for my eye. The Tak eyepiece holder adds about 40mm of length, so a little shorter one would certainly have worked with the Hyperion and possibly the Panoptic.

My conclusions are that the Baader Mark IV Zoom is easily adapted to the Monarch scope, but only some 1.25" eyepieces will reach focus and making any of them work requires the use of the T-S short Nikon T-adapter. It would certainly be quite feasible for Baader, Nikon or someone else to make a short adapter that could accommodate nearly all 1.25"eyepieces, like what is available now for the Kowa 77/88mm scopes.

Henry

Attachments

• DSC_0487.jpeg
    DSC_0487.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0486.jpeg
    DSC_0486.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC_0482.jpeg
    DSC_0482.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited: