• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Monarch HG updated? (4 Viewers)

Silent Observer

United Kingdom
Hi,

Would anyone be able to confirm if the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 has been updated by Nikon and if so, what the changes are if any? the specification listed is still the same...

The reason that I ask is, that the material code for the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 on the Nikon UK website is now listed as BAA794SB, where as the Monarch HG 10x42 that I bought last year in October had the code BAA794SA. I have noticed that the 8x42 also has a code ending in B, where as the 30mm models still have the code ending in A.

I have asked Nikon UK customer support and will update here if they give me any useful info. Just wondered if anyone knows of someone that can provide more info...

Thanks.

Silent Observer

United Kingdom
So, I've been told that the product is the same however, there are minor improvements to the accessories, specifically the rain guard and neck strap...

I haven't been told what those improvements are.

I thought if anything needed improving with the accessories, it was with the objective lens caps...

yarrellii

Supporter
Hi,

Would anyone be able to confirm if the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 has been updated by Nikon and if so, what the changes are if any? the specification listed is still the same...

The reason that I ask is, that the material code for the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 on the Nikon UK website is now listed as BAA794SB, where as the Monarch HG 10x42 that I bought last year in October had the code BAA794SA. I have noticed that the 8x42 also has a code ending in B, where as the 30mm models still have the code ending in A.

I have asked Nikon UK customer support and will update here if they give me any useful info. Just wondered if anyone knows of someone that can provide more info...

Thanks.
I've just watchd Piergiovanni's review of the HG in Binomania (you have it in a thread right next to this one) and there he explicitly talks about improvements on coatings. In his test he shows a brand new model handed to him in order to do the review, but he also has a 2017 model to compare. Comparing both, he states that the coatings have been improved. You can also read it in the written review in Binomania, where he writes about the coatings:

"The coatings have a green-purple reflection and differ from the first example in my possession, a symptom that Nikon continues to update its sport-optics range also in terms of coatings. The test I often do, reflecting the face or the characters of a newspaper in the lenses, showed an excellent anti-glare treatment."

You can read/watch it here:

I hope that helps. Maybe there has been some improvement after all.

Silent Observer

United Kingdom
Thanks for sharing that, sounds like there may have been some change to the coatings, whether or not it has any bearing on the view through the binoculars, can only be found out if someone has them side by side and knows how to analyse the differences if any...

It probably has no bearing whatsoever for the majority of users out there...

yarrellii

Supporter
Thanks for sharing that, sounds like there may have been some change to the coatings, whether or not it has any bearing on the view through the binoculars, can only be found out if someone has them side by side and knows how to analyse the differences if any...

It probably has no bearing whatsoever for the majority of users out there...
That's an easy one: I've just asked Piergiovanni in the other thread. Let's see if he could see any changes in the actual optical performance. :)

Silent Observer

United Kingdom
I have now been told by Nikon that there have been changes to the eyecups (rounder edges), the focusing wheel has had a slight increase in size, the rain guard has what they called 'finger hooks' for ease of removal and lastly the hinge has a gentler incline (not sure what that means), also, they have said that there are no changes to the optical quality...

I may be getting my hands on an updated model soon, will update here if there are any meaningful differences noted.

eitanaltman

Rounder edges on the eyecups would be a useful change. That was one of my main ergonomic dislikes with the MHG, the eyecups felt a bit "sharp" with somewhat firmer rubber and a hard outer rim, not as pleasant as some nicer (softer/rounder) eyecups.

Users who are viewing this thread