• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch HG (1 Viewer)

I'm using only the MHG 8x30 now. It's my only binocular. When I compared it to Ultravid HD+ 8x32, the Leica was just better and had something extra; the darks looked real dark and the colors and resolution impressed me more. But, now that I'm using the Nikon exclusively and not comparing it to anything else, the view looks just wonderful each time I use it. I'm glad I have nothing else on hand to compare it to. I'm enjoying the things it excels at. The key is to not compare it to the top premium models. It will always look and feel like 'The Best' when it's the only one you have :)

There's a lot to be said for this, and others have mentioned the same with respect to color balance in other threads. I have an EL, and SF, an HG, and a Canon IS bin, and they all have lovely colors and contrast. If I take the time to compare them I can find differences, but when I just pick one up to use, any one of them presents a lovely view. I notice weight, ergonomics, FOV, and CA a little. Occasionally the inferior CA handling of the MHG or the Canon really makes itself known (mostly on flyovers against harsh white/gray clouds). However in day to day use I don't really notice color and contrast differences in this lineup. They're all plenty good.

My MHG 8x42 showed up in mail yesterday . Got a bit of day and night viewing done with it to get a feel for it but realize it's going to take some more time with it to get used to it . First impression is good , I'm happy with it . I feel it has plenty of sharpness , contrast , excellent colour and works well with my glasses . I can see a wee bit of CA but it's not bothersome at all and is mostly at the edge .

I'm using only the MHG 8x30 now. It's my only binocular. When I compared it to Ultravid HD+ 8x32, the Leica was just better and had something extra; the darks looked real dark and the colors and resolution impressed me more. But, now that I'm using the Nikon exclusively and not comparing it to anything else, the view looks just wonderful each time I use it. I'm glad I have nothing else on hand to compare it to. I'm enjoying the things it excels at. The key is to not compare it to the top premium models. It will always look and feel like 'The Best' when it's the only one you have :)
I agree entirely. In fact I'd say the same when using a top premium model.. the experience can still be spoilt by reaching for another one that does things differently as you can start concentrating on the downsides of each and get into a vicious circle.

Tom

So, I think I know what you mean about a binocular being bright to the point where sometimes the image can lose a degree of contrast and look washed out.
Hi Beth,

I really don't see any connection here!

Either binoculars have a good contrast or not, the brightness is only secondary!
Example Zeiss FL 10x56 and Swarovski 8x56, both very bright binoculars, the contrast is very good even in the sunshine, nothing is washed out.
Basically, high transmission should even be an advantage, if you are observing without binoculars even 100% light comes into your eye, do you then also have a poorer contrast?

Andreas

Hi Beth,

I really don't see any connection here!

Either binoculars have a good contrast or not, the brightness is only secondary!
Example Zeiss FL 10x56 and Swarovski 8x56, both very bright binoculars, the contrast is very good even in the sunshine, nothing is washed out.
Basically, high transmission should even be an advantage, if you are observing without binoculars even 100% light comes into your eye, do you then also have a poorer contrast?

Andreas
Then I think it may have more to do with color bias than total light transmission. I was agreeing with someone about binoculars which have high apparent brightness having a sort of 'washed out' view at times. This may be an issue with binos which have higher cooler (not warm) color bias attempting to achieve higher apparent brightness; binoculars which transmit a little higher in blue or green spectrum for example.

I recall the FL 8x32 at times having an image appearing a bit washed out in certain lighting conditions (strong sun) and the contrast, which is normally high, being a bit reduced in these conditions. I'm totally guessing here, but I do know what I've seen and I've seen it in the FL a few times. Normally, the contrast is excellent in the FL. Others have mentioned this as well in the past with Swaro SV and Zeiss FL coming to mind. I could be wrong. We'd need more experts to chime in with what could be causing this to occur in binoculars which normally have excellent overall contrast.

Then I think it may have more to do with color bias than total light transmission. I was agreeing with someone about binoculars which have high apparent brightness having a sort of 'washed out' view at times. This may be an issue with binos which have higher cooler (not warm) color bias attempting to achieve higher apparent brightness; binoculars which transmit a little higher in blue or green spectrum for example.
Also, this may be something some people see while others don't notice at all; just like some people can see a color bias in a particular binocular while others cannot see it as hard as they may try; they just may not be sensitive to this type of thing.

they just may not be sensitive to this type of thing.
I am very sensitive to color differences of binoculars and especially to CA, which is why I find it difficult to use the MHG 8x42.
Even if the FL in blue-green are a bit more dominant, I could never perceive a lower contrast in bright light, that SLC 8x56 is also Imho the most color-neutral binoculars we have different perceptions.

Andreas

"The key is to not compare it to the top premium models. It will always look and feel like 'The Best' when it's the only one you have."

That statement kind of reminds me of my infamous thread entitled "Once You Try Alpha You Can Never Go Backa!"

I was agreeing with someone about binoculars which have high apparent brightness having a sort of 'washed out' view at times...

This comment and Conndomat's in post #24 made me think a bit. I agree high transmission is an advantage and would agree that those very bright binoculars I've tried have, generally speaking, seemed to perform really well in sunny conditions. I can't really say I have noticed a "washed out" image with FLs or other very bright binoculars unless the view was affected by glare, but I have definitely felt that in very bright conditions (ie. searching bright white summer clouds for distant tiny black silhouettes) the brightness of something like the 10x56 SLC can get a bit overpowering. If I know those conditions are likely, I'll use something else.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back