• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Monocular help (1 Viewer)

sf01457

Hello again

Well, you were right!

Using a monocular is not as stable as binoculars, as you cautioned me it would be. I can now see why 5x or 6x is a better magnification in compacts.

That said, the RSPB monocular that I now have is nice and sharp, pretty much over 80% of the field of view. The depth of focus seems quite shallow, a good reason why a lower magnification might prove preferable, so I have found myself hunting for ideal focus. This has been mainly at close range, watching Blue Tit’s flying in and out of one of our garden nest boxes.

I’m going to use this for a while to get used to the handling, but save glare when viewing towards the sun, optically and mechanically, there is little to dislike for £84.

Cheers

Steve

Gijs van Ginkel

I have listed quite a number of monoculars in posts 37 and 39. Many of them I have tried during (mountain) walks, birding trips, museum visits etc.
However I found none of them very comfortable to use as I use a binocular. So I now generally take a small monocular with me on those trips and use them mostly for the following purposes:
-1- to read train or bus departure times on boards too far away to be read by eye
-2- to read texts in museums describing the meaning/background of paintings, objects etc. when crowds of people make it impossible to come closer to the exhibited object.
-3- as a long distance magnifier to observe insects, flower details etc. on walking and birding trips.
Gijs van Ginkel

Ian54

Hi Steve,
I currently own a opticron dba 8x42 oasis monocular, although a bit heavy for walking with, its great for garden use, also got my eye on Doctor 8x21 monocular, looks very interesting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread